Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

275 gallon tank pressure test

hh409
hh409 Member Posts: 14
hello all:

upon installation of a new 275 gallon in basement (granby 12ga) oil tank the plumber did pressure test it before filling and all was well. now in order to get the permit from the town the building inspector wants to witness the pressure test himself, the problem is now the tank is full of oil.

the plumber claims that pressure testing the tank when full of oil will not be an issue, however i wanted to get the objective opinion from you guys on the forum.

just curious?

on the new granby tank the label states "do not pressure test this new tank as it has been done at the factory" why is it common practice to do tests after installation?

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    never heard of this

Where are you located? I can't believe that this is code. In 30 plus years, Mass, I have never performed, or was asked to pressure test a fuel tank. This is a manufacture only certification. They are asking you to play with fire, if it is over pressurized, and it fails at any time. 
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    me

Oil tanks are not rated pressure vessels. We've had inspectors in the past request it, but we weren't happy about doing it. If the manufacturer states not to do it, then that is manufacturers recommendation, and following that is code.
  • BenderJG
    BenderJG Member Posts: 3
    oil tank testing

I've had to do it one time in Bridgeport CT for not only the city Building Inspector but the fire Marshall wanted to see it done too. They wanted the fill and vent lines to the tank and the lines capped at the burner all tested.
  • BenderJG
    BenderJG Member Posts: 3
    oil tank testing

I've had to do it one time in Bridgeport CT for not only the city Building Inspector but the fire Marshall wanted to see it done too. They wanted the fill and vent lines to the tank and the lines capped at the burner all tested.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    I would refuse...

as a contractor I wouldn't do it, you have oil in the tank and if that tank lets go you have oil in your house.. This is someones fault, that the tank was filled before it was inspected. I would have whoever that is pump it out, then test it, then put the oil back.. Obviously your homeowners is going to cover the damage if that tank lets go under testing, they will inturn go after the contractor or tank manufacturer... But that is a lot of aggravation I wouldn't want to deal with..

I have NEVER been asked to test an oil tank {out of the ground}... First time I ever heard of this..
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    tank inspection

It was always a  requirement here that the tank be filled prior to final inspection. That is a leak test. Not 100 gallons either, full tank. With price, etc, that has not been enforced in years, but was good practice. The label on the tank will provide any inspector will all the info they should need. Above and beyond manufactures pressure testing is some inspectors wet dream, and is not part of an instal , here in Mass anyways.
This discussion has been closed.