Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

homemade panels...

kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
any thoughts? anyone ever done some and or have instructions on how to do a set...personal use.

Comments

• crazy907ak
    crazy907ak Member Posts: 34
    Try builditsolar.com

They have lots of home made design plans plus a ton of other solar projects
  • kcopp
    edited March 2013
    Thanks...

They have some interesting stuff there. Do you think they are worth the effort? Have you ever worked on any?

Has anyone just installed a system that was seasonal... no glycol, blown out during the winter months? How about a direct loop system... no HX?
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Seasonal solar systems

I have done all the above except have not had any systems "blow out" in the winter.
  • kcopp
    by blow out...

I meant to not use during the winter months.
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    got it

I understand now. No need to blow out a seasonal system if you set it up right. Just open some valves and drain it down. My systems do solar DHW in spring, summer, fall and wood heat does DHW in winter. These are open loops with potable water. No glycol.

Homeowner must sign off on being vigilent about WHEN to switch over the systems.
  • kcopp
    This is for me....

I don't think I would do this for a customer yet.... kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Use it year 'round

Solar for Dhw pre-heat works well in winter months. We have plenty systems in the upper Midwest and Nathan in Alaska who hangs out on the wall has some experience with cold climate conditions solar. Consider a plain water drain back system, freeze and overheat protection are the benefits.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    Thanks HR...

as this point I would like to do a drainback set up but I can't swing a drainback tank. I am going to run the system at street pressure to a standard water htr and a bronze circ that I have. If the set up works well and business gets better I may do the drainback yr round.
  • kcopp
    edited May 2013
    Online....

About a week behind but...Online! 50 gallon Electric as a storage tank. Bronze006 through a Homemade collector out of 2x4, poly-iso foam, 1/2 copper and thermofin plates. Covered w/ SunTuff. Running from 2pm to 5.30 is I got 100F water to preheat my 60 gallon Superstor.
  • kcopp
    edited May 2013
    Basement looks like...

this...
  • kcopp
    Got home today at.....

5.30 pm. I had a 50 gallon storage tank filled w/ 135*f water. Wow. I wonder if I should have installed a bigger tank......
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    How many square feet

of aperture?
  • kcopp
    edited May 2013
    The collector....

is around 36 sq ft..... I am starting to wonder if I should have found a bigger tank. The plus side of having the collector at ground level is that  I can cover part of it up.
This discussion has been closed.