Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Draft hood retrofit on standing pilot appliances?

SWEI
SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
After reading that Minnesota report on tankless water heaters and considering the reports here of fuel savings with barometric damper retrofits, I'm thinking that applying these to existing tank style gas-fired water heaters might be able to demonstrate reasonable ROI while increasing occupant safety.

I'm planning to take one of Jim Davis' CO seminars next time he offers it in Phoenix, but am curious about the inclusion of spill switches on the MG-1 on standing pilot water heaters.  How?

thanks~

Comments

• SWEI
    think I found it

Field Controls sells a thermocouple adapter (TCA-1) that will work with older (non-FVIR) heaters.

Anyone done this and have fuel savings numbers to share?

thanks~
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    Barometric Water Heater Savings

Sometimes there is not always savings on a residential water because there are no adjustments.  However, depending on how the drafthood was performing there can be.  Sometimes the drafthood acts like its not even there.and over vents.  The thing here is safety and wear and tear on the water heater.  Safety being #1.  Water heaters lead the nation in CO poisonings although they are rarely recognized until someone dies.
  • SWEI
    no adjustments

adjusting fuel and air, or is it something else?

thanks, Jim.
  • Jim Davis_3
    Jim Davis_3 Member Posts: 578
    No Adjustments

Most water heater gas valves have a fixed, non-adjustable gas valve.  The barometric controls air so that it is stable under all conditions.
This discussion has been closed.