Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello on Buderus Problem

Vinny_3
Vinny_3 Member Posts: 2
Hello from Beantown, Walligans!

I have installed many Buderus/Riello packaged boilers over the years and they are my boiler/burner of choice. I usually install them and forget about them until they need their anual service.

However I have this one G215-4 oil boiler that I installed a few years ago that is driving me Nutz! When the unit doesn't run for a long time it loses its prime.

It is connected via a single pipe to a Roth tank (about 6' run, tank is outside), has a spin and grin type filter adjacent to the boiler. I have already replaced the flexible suction line inside the Roth tank with ridgid pipe. The fuel pump pressure and suction are fine and the unit runs great until a warm day when it doesn't come on as often.

I am thinking of running a return oil line back to the tank from the fuel pump. I have always run single oil pipe systems and never had a problem in twenty years other than this one.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any constructive thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    ouch

I went through this too, yes, you need the Tiger, and your problems will go away.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    YEP ,

Tigerloop is your best bet. Go for broke, and get the Ultra. It has the spin on attached right to the base! Chris
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    When I was new

When I was new, a guy who had done many Riello installs with overhead oil lines alwyas said to use a TigerLoop. He said everytime he didn't doone it came back to bitehim.

Leo
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    i am also a proponent of a tiger loop combo avec

valve OSV and melt down on any line headed down into a basement.

reason the pump seals on oil burners is seeing a siphoned pressure ever at the ready to potentially flood your combustion chamber should a failure occur.
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    bad flare

if i had to guess one of your flare has a rough spot the tiger loop may solve it but if you check your flare and see a burr presto!! had this happen to me. also had a pump replacement in oct. on a miller furnace went there twice for a prime 3rd time noticed a drip on the nut well plug on return side of pump used a socket got 3 turns on it in this business anything can happen royboy
  • JPW
    JPW Member Posts: 1
    Buderus 215-4

I have a Buderus 215-4 with riello with a 2 pipe system installed 5 years ago ran great for 2 years have had several problems since, nuisance lock outs,won't reset, even called an oil company in once. Changed oil delay, nozzle several times, primary control, whenever there get a good combustion reading, draft at breech -.02 to -.04 overfire +.13 any ideas owner is upset
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Eye of the Tiger:

Get the two pipe kit for the Riello, Connect it to a Tigerloop Ultra, use the one pipe to the Roth tank, and your problems will completely go away.

Tigerloops ROCK.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    tiger loop on riello burners is a good idea...

I use tiger loops with all my riello installs... Also make sure your roth tank pickup isnt bad, I remember them old floating ones used to go bad all the time....
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Tigerloops:

Funny to see all the support for Tigerloops now.

I was cleaning out old files and found a bunch of saved Oil Tech Talk postings from over 10 years ago.  There was a section on Tigerloops. You should see the railing against them, that they were the biggest POS that ever came down the highway. Now, they are universally accepted. Except by a few old knuckleheads who can't or won't learn or change.
This discussion has been closed.