Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sprinter look a like from Fiat

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
This Fiat van is fairly common in Europe. It looks like Dodge will re-brand it for the US market.

<a href="http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html">http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html</a>
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    nice to see another

3-4 litre DIesel option available here in the US.  We've been deprived for too long...
  • smklin
    smklin Member Posts: 69
    GM

WOUNDER HOW LONG BEFORE GM WILL FOLLOW
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    ford has one coming too

the 2014 ford is a 3 liter diesel. 
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    other brands

This Ford had Transit name on the back.

Opel, Renault, Iveco and Peugeot were some other Sprinter-like vans I spotted.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    I've heard

The Transit will replace the Econoline

Don't know if that's true.

I had an early Transit 1986 in Ireland Back in the day. Still think it's the best van I ever owned

I have a sprinter now, But it has been lots of trouble
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    My sprinter

Will be 9 years old this spring. I did just put 6 tires 2nd set 135k miles and a trans repair that was almost 3K for the trans 1k for the tires but thats been it. just need to get 3 more years out of it.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Hopefully

One of these companies can step up with an AWD or even better 4WD option. Ford has sort of thought about it but hasn't committed.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Steve_210
    My sprinter

Is the 2007 model I waited for the new model to Come out And I really regret that now

The older model seems to Have been a much better van

38,000 miles, Rebuilt tranny, new catalytic converter And lots of other smaller problems

It's the downtime that kills you, off the road, on average at least one day a month since

New. I wonder if it is a bad thing to buy the first model of anything.

I've always had a Ford With little or no trouble. So I will be going back to Ford from here on in. Although I am A little concerned about buying the first model of the Transit just in case they haven't ironed out the kinks
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    I bought an 05 sprinter {freightliner}

It was junk, and NEVER again will I go down that road.... 2 Turbos, egr problems, transmission trouble, blow by at 100K miles{I no longer had it then though}, terrible service, ect..

The gas mileage was good, the van looked good, and the high roof was nice, but you couldnt get it to run a month at a time... Terrible ordeal...

I will stick to my Chevy/GMC 2500 trucks, single axle knap utility bodies. Buy a new one every 2 years and get rid of the oldest one at the same time, they cost about $28K with automatic, pwr doors, a/c, cd, and the body installed.... I have had 4wd but like the 2wd better, service is cheaper mgp is better, cost is less.... Also I don't buy diesels anymore, gas engines are just less trouble, had some bad luck with the diesels... Back to KISS method, {keep it simple stupid}
  • Steve_210
    This sprinter was

My first diesel in this country. For the mileage we do if gas is more reliable it's a no-brainer

I have a Ford E350 utility master nine years old no problems, GAS.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Sprinter engines

Just about every I5 owner I know is very happy.  Can't say the same of the V6 owners.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I've had both

The 2007 is awesome for it's room and smooth ride. Its the long wheelbase which helps a lot in the winter driving conditions. The 2004 was awesome in the summer when I was getting 28 - 29 MPG the 2007 goliath is only at 24 in the summer 18 in the winter combined driving. These vans are very much like the new mod cons, they need VERY specific service in proper intervals by qualified techs or the problems will come. In all the miles I put on both vans the only non wear part I put in was a computer in the 04 under warranty so no big deal. Diesels require proper break in times and need to be fussed over like a bad customer if you don't want that headache steer clear and buy the gasser.

When the Ford does show up I may go with the ecoboost gas based purely on the boat load of emissions they will be forced to put on the diesel to meet EPA standards.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Steve_210
    My sprinter

Never ran right from day one I had it back to the dealer seven times in the first year losing seven days

I don't know if I just got a lemon But I have not met anybody who is 100% happy with the 2007 and later model

I know Mercedes now have a bluetec engine maybe these are better
This discussion has been closed.