Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help dating my old gas steam radiator

CountMarcus
CountMarcus Member Posts: 1
  I was hoping that someone could help me figure out when my gas steam radiator was made.

It is a Clow glow gas steam radiator No. A 34 with a patent No. 1881173 as far as I can read it. It also has another No. A 48 on the other side, so that is confusing. The reason I am asking is that I recently bought this older home that was involved in a tornado back in 1930. the tax records show it was built in 1930 but I have photos before 1930 of the home. I am hoping that this radiator will give me a better idea about when this home was built. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Old Radiators:

Old radiators like coins are a poor source for proving when something was built. Like the coin that only shows that it was dropped at some time after it was dated when minted and could have been dropped yesterday, a old radiator tells you that it is only as young or as old as a patent date. They didn't have serial numbers on them and the old timers excelled at recycling. Especially in the country after tornado's.

Where I work, the oldsters moved houses around with no thought in it or deconstructed them to get the worthwhile lumber and create new ones.

There are better ways to figure it out. The radiator can help but you sound like you are on your way.
This discussion has been closed.