Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Ef-22a

Anyone have experience with this?. I'm pretty sure EPA hasn't allowed the use of this product in residential yet. Its natural but it does have propane as part of the mix which may cause some liability issues. On top of that, you don't need a 608 Cert, which is absolutely ridiculous. You can't buy non-explosive refrigerant because its not environmentally friendly but you can throw this stuff in and possibly burn down your home?

Comments

• Tom Blackwell_2
    Tom Blackwell_2 Member Posts: 126
    Research

The MSDS for this substance simply says hydrocarbons. For it to mimic R-22 pressure/temperature wise means that it is in fact propane. Propane already has a refrigerant designation; R-290. Marketing at it's best! I noticed at a local farm and supply store there was even a continuous playing video touting the magical properties of this new miracle substance. The really funny part is that it is marketed in "equivalent" pounds-the container (30#) only has a net weight of 12 pounds...

In all seriousness, propane is an excellent refrigerant and has been used in some specialty systems. I have played around with it as a substitute for R-22 and it is close enough for expansion valves to operate correctly.

The flammability issue is another matter-the listed flammability range for propane is between 5 and 10% with air by volume, which is fairly narrow. For a typical house of 2000 square feet it would take 800 cubic feet released at once to get to the lower flammability level-this of course assuming it is not confined to a small space.  The real issue is that attorneys don't care about the laws of physics-only that it's flammable. It would be impossible to prove that a small amount of a flammable gas didn't cause a fire or explosion. It will be interesting to see how the Feds treat this...stay tuned.
  • Tom Blackwell_2
    Tom Blackwell_2 Member Posts: 126
    Clarification

The MSDS lists the LEL as being 2.15%, which would require 344 cubic feet for the above example of a 2,000 square foot house. The ingredients are classified as "alkanes" which includes a list of hydrocarbons.
  • RDSTEAM
    RDSTEAM Member Posts: 134
    Better safe then sued.....

The price of this stuff is WAY lower then 22, maybe its because they only give you 12 lb.....but anyway, i thinks its best to continue biting the bullet for r-22 with the hope of complete phase out in the near future.
  • JoeDarby
    JoeDarby Member Posts: 1
    Great Stuff

EF-22a fantastic. Excellent drop in replacemnet for R22. You can top off with it. Works great in heat pumps. Just amazing !!!!!!!!

Gotta try it man. Of cousre it is legal. It is a hydrocarbon refrigerant.

Hydrocarbon refrigerants are the thing now cause they are non ozone depleting and energy saving. No more R22 for me.

Joe
  • SolarMan
    SolarMan Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2013
    SolarMan

Ok put your beer down and turn the stock car channel off. Think about it... We all use propane to braze with. We use propane to roast your wieners with. And some of us are riding around in vehicles powered by the stuff... and MOST of us avoid blowing each other up doing so. So why ... are some of you so concerned about putting small quantities inside an A/C unit that is supposed to have no air in it in the first place?Propane needs air to ignite and it needs it in a very specific quantity first..( ever have your Turbo Torch go out for lack of air).. If this stuff reduces energy draw by 40% or more and cost less to begin with.. . how come your are not using it to keep your beer cool for less money?? That's important right? Don't give me the excuse that your are afraid of pumping it into the house BS scare tactic. Its already pumped into the house to the oven and the wall heater so what's the dealy-O Vern?
This discussion has been closed.