Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler keeps popping off relief valve...why?

pauly
pauly Member Posts: 3
i have a customer who's boiler keeps popping off..its about a half a bucket a day...i have changed the fill valve,extrol #30(on the return) ,relief valve, ane then the fill valve again...note there is no domestic coil to bleed thru..any more ideas you wetheads? Burnham v-15 138 output

Comments

• STEVEN MARKS
    STEVEN MARKS Member Posts: 154

If fill valve and expansion are both on the return that could be your problem. When pump starts fill valve sees a decrease in pressure and opens to add more water.
  • STEVEN MARKS

• STEVEN MARKS

If fill valve and expansion are both on the return that could be your problem. When pump starts fill valve sees a decrease in pressure and opens to add more water.
  • STEVEN MARKS

sorry computer keys stuck
  • freyheating265342
    freyheating265342 Member Posts: 14

Did you check the pressure in the extrol. How much pressure on the gauge when you arrive on the seen. 30lb safety ?
  • Pauly

First off, I would like you to determine whether the relief valve is popping off due to excessive makeup water or static fill pressure or if the temperature in the boiler is becoming excessive. I will first advise shutting off the cold water supply to the Pressure Reducing valve once the 12-15# static fill has been established. If, with this makeup water shut off, the relief valve still blows off, take a close look at the temperature gauge to see if it is excessively hot (220F+). If this is the case, I would look to determine if the circulator for the system might be in backwards. There is usually a direction of flow arrow on the circulator cast into the water end housing. The flow should be from the top boiler supply connection to the bottom return tapping. If it is pointing the other way, that may be the problem being caused by cooler return water washing past the aquastat bulb due to reverse flow. Let us know.

Glenn Stanton

Manager of Training

Burnham Hydronics

www.burnham.com
    Jjacobs
  • Guy_5
    Guy_5 Member Posts: 159
    locked in

you might also want to make certain that the extrol tank is not "locked" in between a flow check and zone valve, or a similar situation. That little gem kept me busy for a few trips to a home in my early years.

Guy
  • Richard_4
    Richard_4 Member Posts: 40

Paul, did you check the pressure in the extrol 30, and it might be possable that you need an extrol 60? There might be too much water in the boiler and piping for the 30 to absorbe the thermal expansion.
  • Tom M.
    Tom M. Member Posts: 237
    There's no domestic coil,

but is there an indirect? I was in a similar situation and found one in another room. It wasn't prioritized or labeled so it looked just like a heat zone from the boiler room.
  • greg_7
    greg_7 Member Posts: 71

How can you check the pressure in the diaphram tank with out letting some out? Is 15lbs normal?

Then what's the best way to add it. Do you take it off and use a foot pump or the like?
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    exactamudo

You remove the tank from the system and check it with a tire preasure gauge. If its down or you think you have let out to much pump it back up with a bicycle pump.

You acutally should check every tank before it gets installed, no telling what preasure you get out of the box. Ask Dan !!

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • greg_7
    greg_7 Member Posts: 71

I figured.
  • glenn_6
    glenn_6 Member Posts: 2
    pressure

did you check to see what the incomeing water pressure is on the water main you may have high pressure that the feed valve cant hold back and water is creeping past the feed valve. incomeing pressure on water main should be between55 and 65 lbs.
  • glenn_6
    glenn_6 Member Posts: 2
    pressure

did you check to see what the incomeing water pressure is on the water main you may have high pressure that the feed valve cant hold back and water is creeping past the feed valve. incomeing pressure on water main should be between55 and 65 lbs.
  • pauly

THANKS FOR THE INFO I HAVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF THIS BOILER FOR YEARS ...THE PUMP AND ALL THAT IS CORRECTLY INSTALLED I I LEANING TOWARDS A RUNAWAY..I WILL LET U KNOW WHEN I FIND OUT
  • pauly

BEEN THAT WAY FOR YEARS ....WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN?
  • rags
    rags Member Posts: 4
    boiler

just installed a new hot water boiler  about 3 months ago  got a call back  yesterday on boiler relief valve  kept leaking by   i checked all the  water feed valve and  expansion tank    everything seems to work  great   im thinking if the inderct water heater has a pin whole on coil  would that cause the the pressure to rise in boiler  and pop the reilef valve
  • rags
    boiler

just installed a new hot water boiler  about 3 months ago  got a call back  yesterday on boiler relief valve  kept leaking by   i checked all the  water feed valve and  expansion tank    everything seems to work  great   im thinking if the inderct water heater has a pin whole on coil  would that cause the the pressure to rise in boiler  and pop the reilef valve
  • rags
    boiler

• rags
    boiler

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    edited March 2013
    Absolutely

Yes, if your indirect has a leak in the coil it will cause the symptoms you are describing. Try valving off the indirect, lowering boiler pressure to system requiriments, run boiler up to temp and watch pressure. If it stays within parameters you have your answer. Then to confirm, open valves to indirect and see if pressure rises.Rob
This discussion has been closed.