Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for plumbing tool that is no longer made

Dan C.
Dan C. Member Posts: 248
I borrowed a tool from someone that is used to make 1 1/2" flanged tailpieces.  I end up with a lot of long ieces of tubular brass and I like to put flanges on them instead of junking them.  I would like to try to get my own instead of borrowing it.  I have attached two pictures.  If anyone knows where I can find one please let me know.  I couldn't find one anywhere online.  Thanks 

Comments

• pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    HERE YA GO

this is the one i have. it comes in 2 sizes one for 1 1/2 and one for 1 1/4. but it's not the old hammer type, but still works good.

http://www.perfectoproducts.net/index.php?page=speed-type-flanging-tool
  • Mpj
    Mpj Member Posts: 109
    Tool

I have one and its the best tool to have when you have those extra tubular pieces.

I think my dad has an extra one I will try and find out for sure in the next day or two.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Tail piece tool

My old Boss had one of those, great tool, I believe he had told me that his old Boss had made it, how about bringing it to a machine shop to see if they can make one up?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Tailpiece Tools:

Buy "double flanged tailpieces" in 17Ga. and the but off piece will always be just about right. They come in various lengths. The cut-off piece can always be used somewhere.

If you charge $60.00 per hour and it takes you 10 minutes to make one of them, that's $10.00 per tailpiece. Double ones are less than that. What's left is more profitable in the scrap brass barrel.

You'd have to make a lot of tailpieces to pay off the capitol investment on the tailpiece making tool.
  • Dan C.
    Dan C. Member Posts: 248
    flange tool

Thanks for all the replies.  I have seen the one from perfect products.  It's a different tool.  This one in the picture is a lot faster and it can be done anywhere.  you don't need a vise. I have thought about taking it to a machine shop but I thought maybe there would be some patent issues or something.  I should try that.  I do buy the double ended tailpieces already and with the tool it doesn't take 10 minutes to make one it probably takes about one minute.  It's definitely worth it to me.  Thanks again. 
This discussion has been closed.