Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

You never know what people want. off topic

Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
Winter project log home rehab. Hand made lights, plumbing, bowling alley, counters fish tanks, barn doors, floating shelves. Black pipe furniture.

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Is he a plumber?

A good friend of mine {who now lives accross the country in Oregon} is a Plumber, we were out there visting him last september and almost everything in the house was made out of some sort of tubing, black iron lamps, all the plpumbing ran on the out side of walls through out the house, all the drainage done in copper, hardley any plastic if any..   He made picture frames out of black pipe and copper cut in half to make 2 frames out of one square, he heated some of them with oxy/scet to make them different colors, tons of thought wen tinto it for sure....  

When we left I told my wife "that looks pretty cool"  she replied "Don't even think about it" lol....  

He even made the door knobs in some rooms out of old shower mixing valve handles...   He is now retired, was a plumber from 14 when he quit school to work for his father....   His veins are made of copper tubing for sure...
  • Gordy
    Not a plumber

Laborer.

These are all done by me. He had the idea of what he wanted, I took it from there.

I thought he was nuts until I got on the Internet. Lots of people doing it. In the right home it looks pretty cool.

The plumber, a friend of his came yesterday, and was blown away.

Actually I was watching the home channel the other night had a log home segment. Low, and behold there was a tub faucet like the kitchen one I made.

I had to laugh these people like the nicks scratches, gouges in wood. In that segment in a 7000 sf log home they used reclaimed lumber for the kitchen cabinets. The lady/ owner remarked on how the custom cabinet maker could not believe she wanted the wood rough for the cabinet faces.

Any way thought some people might want to get creative in their spare time with left over pipe, and fittings because there is a market out there.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Pipe

Awesome. Looks like our shop. We just handmade a sink and faucet.
  • Gordy
    What boggled my mind

Is the sink is a 2000.00 sink. With a hand made 100.00 faucet? I want to try, and make a copper sink some day.
  • knotgrumpy
    knotgrumpy Member Posts: 211
    Nice work

Looks good, Gordy.  What kind of finish is going on the faucet to keep it shiny, or is he going to let it mellow with age?

Mark
  • Gordy
    I used

Mr metal it shines copper beautiful and leaves a protective finish. How hong it lasts depends on the up keep. I'm sure in the end the owners will let it go. Me I like shinny I think the bronze colored copper sink is a waste of copper for the money I'd want it to look like copper not bronze. I was informed by the owner today the drinking water spigot is going, and I'm making one it leaked after plumber hooked water up.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Mr metal works

Brasso used to work, I don't know what happened to it, doesn't work anymore... or maybe I don't have any elbow grease left...

What are you thinking for the drinking faucet? Same female adapter and gate valve style with a 3/4x1/2 reducer and get fancy bending some 5/8 copper with a flared end

good job gordy, I like the look of the faucet..
  • Gordy
    edited March 2013
    Stature

Walla I went with 1/4" sot copper for the spigot, but same valve x cetra. I wanted to do brass valve handles, but they liked the colored ones lol.
  • Gordy
    Sprayer?

Anyone got any ideas?

Have not found anything to give me something to go with the decor.
  • GusHerb
    GusHerb Member Posts: 91
    That

whole place looks really neat! But I really like that faucet, great way to get around low flow limitations! Low flow faucets in kitchen sinks make no sense anyway. Looks like you can screw on whatever aerator, sprayer, etc that you desire.
  • Gordy
    edited March 2013
    Simple

Those valves are easy maintenance no cartridges to chase down. Some washers, and your back in business. They will get high use so its not like they will lime up from not exercising them. Just a little work turning on, and off is all. That in itself will act as low flow since the effort to turn on full open will probably only happen on occasion.
  • Gordy
    Alternate attachments

The production attachment. Fill 2 pots at once.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Location?

Where are you from Gordy? I'm thinking of moving there and becoming a laborer. It ovbiously pays well in your area :)

Rob
  • Gordy
    Northern Illinois

But his wife is an anesthesiologist. Gotta marry it Rob
  • Gordy
    edited March 2013
    RO spigot installed

I was going to go shorter they liked it tall.
This discussion has been closed.