Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

tagagi tankless for radiant? 15 btu per sf ?

keyote
keyote Member Posts: 659
renovating a 4 story detached townhouse in brooklyn ny, gutted down to 13" structural brick walls metal stud frame with 2" closed cell foam and possibly some open cell on top as funds permit,im hvac by trade but mostly heavy commercial from sheetmetal perspective though ive done all sorts of plumbing and electric as a general or building my own homes even done a couple simple radiant retrofits to existing hotwater systems adding a zone pump and tempering valve. but this 5000 sq ft 3 family house  I wanted to get a bit of help to be safe although i bought a dozen books and researched the hell out of it , I got a designer who@ .20 ft is reasonable working from home semi retired in low cost state might be a bargain alternative to helpbut wonder if hes up to date he certainly has done a lot of systems for a while but he seems maybe an old dog resistant to new tech or maybe im enthralled with unneeded bells and whistles.I was thinking a triangle tube modcon boiler I realize everyones got an opinion on boilers but this guy seems to think thy are all hyp and recommends a tagagi tankless dhw instead says hes done hundreds without a problem, I read years ago dhw heaters dont last as boilers for various reasons i understood but things have changed quite a bit but boilers got a lot better also so im wondering is this worth a try 15 btu per sq ft also seems high for a foamed in building in nyc with a 90-98 % efficiency boiler 1/2" tubing 12" OC under hardwood floors a sort of home made warmboard system. any thoughts

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    NO...

don't use the wrong tool for the job. Its a water heater not a boiler. A bargain now will mean  more money for fuel costs now and a a lot more money to do it right the second time.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2013
    No

Like he said don't use a water heater in place of a boiler. Do it right the first time and put in a proper boiler. He never has had trouble because he installs and walks away. In a couple years you'll be sorry.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • keyote
    keyote Member Posts: 659
    thanks

thanks that s what i thought 
This discussion has been closed.