Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gypcrete Pour lower than sleepers... Need to remove void

Options
Had my sleepers in place and had the Gypcrete poured. Upon drying the Gypcrete is now 1/8" lower than the sleepers. Can't have this void for the heat transfer to the Hickory we will install on top.

I see two solutions:

1. Lower the sleepers by belt sanding them

2. Lift the Gypcrete level by adding something above like Thinset.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    A power...

planer would be better...less dust and faster.  Get a cheap one that you don't have to worry about messing up.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited March 2013
    Options
    I guess

Either will work. Comes down to dust, or dealing with thset. if you use thinset I think you may want the modified, they make a floor leveler product that may prove a little easier to use.

Is this all over, or in spots?

Are sleepers 1 1/2, or 3 1/2" wide?

You are correct that the 1/8 " will reduce conduction properties to the floor, and give hollow sounding areas to the wood floor when walked on. But I think low is better than a little high if high you run a higher risk of squeaks.

If the sleepers are an 1 1/2" wide I would use a belt sander with 40 grit should make quick work out of it. Belts are,cheaper than knives for a,planer you know your going to,hit the gypcrete.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Did not ask

But how long has this pour had time to dry?

Make sure all moisture is out of the gypcrete before you lay that beautiful hickory. It's possible if this pour,is,recent that the sleepers are,swelled a bit from absorbing the moisture from the gypcrete.
  • Billy_Buck
    Billy_Buck Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Few Days

It has only been a few days, so am hoping for wood to recede, but 1/8" is more than I would have expected.
  • MikeG
    MikeG Member Posts: 169
    Options
    Floor leveler

If it is only that low over most of the area I would use one of the floor leveler products.  A lot of good modified mixed formulations with a cement based product.  Should be fine for the heat transfer and finished floor stability.  Definitely look at the product recommendations.  You may have to look at more of a commercial type product versus a big box store product.  Maybe no difference.  Check with the floor installer companies that handle these products.  Make sure all the moisture is out before laying the finished floor.  Do the plastic test.  Edge tape and seal a piece of plastic on the floor for 24 hrs.  See if there is any moisture under it.  Leveling is easier than sanding, but that is another technique.  Mike
  • Billy_Buck
    Options
    All over

It is consistent all over, almost like the pour was too low. Yes, there are 1 1/2 sleepers
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    gypsum and portland

do not get along well.  Most floor levelers are portland-based and most have polymer additives as well.  I'd call Maxxon or USG and get a recommendation for a compatible product.
  • Billy_Buck
    Options
    More Basic Question

Should the gypcrete have been poured to be level with the sleepers so that I would not have needed this extra leveling step. Have not worked with gypecrete before and was unsure of answer .
This discussion has been closed.