Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding 410

I am pretty green in the handling of the r410 refrigerant. I know that you are suppose to add it to the system as a liquid. But my question is to which line do you add it liquid(small) or gas (large). And do you have the unit running at the time your adding.

I have a feeling that with the high pressures that the lack of pressure differential could be an issue.

I was told to weight it in and that I should turn the bottle over and add it as a liquid in the gas line (suction or larger line) when adding only crack the line and watch the sight glass and make sure the 410 is only trickling in. Is this right?

And if it is do I run the unit to keep the pressure diferential large enough to cause the refrigerant to flow higher pressure to lower pressure?

Any advise would be appreciated

Comments

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Add it

Just like you would R22 except with 410 it has to go in as a liquid as it is a blend of chemicals. Add it to the low side with the unit running and for sure weigh it in if for no others reason then to know how much you put in. It seems to want too fly out of the tank.
  • mike from pa.
    mike from pa. Member Posts: 17
    Throttle?

Should I be worried about "slugging" the compressor? Should I only crack open the knob on the gage set and trickle in the refrigerant or just open it up and let it in? Thanks
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Mike

I think you answered your own Q;  Always be aware of slugging liquid to the compressor.  Ad it slowly and look at your suction gauge.  you will see as liquid enters, the needle will bounce around a little. 

Mike T.
  • mike from pa.
    mike from pa. Member Posts: 17
    Thanks

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance. I am always worried when adding liquid in the suction line. Thanks for the help
This discussion has been closed.