Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

condensate slime

Royboy
Royboy Member Posts: 223
I've got a Munchkin Contender install with a homemade neutralizer on the condensate drain line as it discharges into old cast iron floor drain. neutralizer is full of aquarium-type crushed limestone. over several years I have had to make 4 or 5 service calls to clear the condensate lines of slime plugs - which I suppose to be a low-pH loving bacterial colony. the slime seemed to start out at the discharge of the condensate line by the floor drain but has made its way back up the system and is now (this morning) plugging the outlet from the condensate reservoir on the Contender. I doubt this is the only boiler to be plagued by this stuff. I would sure like to offer a long term fix to my client as we're both getting tired of this recurring.

only thing I've found in searching wall posts is maybe putting copper sulfate crystals into the condensate reservoir. any experience with that? (curious as to how much to use and how long it will last). any other approaches?

thanks - Roy

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    You Could Start

By bleaching it out and killing the bacteria. Sounds like your homemade neutralizer isn't doing the trick. I'd replace it with an Axiom NC-1 they don't cost as much as the call backs.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    My thoughts

exactly. I think Munchkin sells a kit.
This discussion has been closed.