Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One for the plumbers

RobG
RobG Member Posts: 1,850
Does anyone know of a good product for clearing out mineral deposits in a urinal/ piping? The piping is PVC and the build-up is like concrete. I can barely get my snake through it and it still drains more slowly than the flush valve can fill it. I normally try to stay away from jobs like this but it's a friends restaurant and now that I have messed with it. I own it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

Comments

• boilerop
    boilerop Member Posts: 4
    santeen

Santeen, CLR, or Calci-Lime or whatever are all very good at clearing out urine salts.  It'll foam up quite a bit but it'll clear out some stuff that's for sure.  You might have to use a screwdriver and a snake to clear a path for it.. Btw, those cheap hardware store snakes are not going to cut it.  A supervee can be had for 200 bucks used and will clean any small drain with the right cables and tips.

These products are also great at clearing out calcium deposits in toilets.  FIrst use a coat hanger to clear out the jets and then pour the product down the overflow tube.  Watch the nastiness pour out of the jets and rinse/repeat as necessary.  If the urinal is old it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the flushometer off the urinal and do the same thing to help it flush better.

Just don't use bleach!  :)
  • RobG
    edited February 2013
    CLR

• RobG
    edited February 2013
    CLR

Tried the CLR and let it sit overnight and then used a Ridged K-50 with1/4" cable drum (no head on the cable, just a bend at the tip). Any other ideas?

What is Santeen? does it work better than CLR?

Thanks,

Rob
  • Terry O
    Terry O Member Posts: 67
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited February 2013
    Rob

This wasn't a foreclosure property, was it? If so, it might be concrete.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    hurcules

has a bunch of really good stuff. SIZZLE comes to mind, it is very strong and u have to dilute it, but it will clean any mineral deposits u have guaranteed. wear glasses and a face mask, if u have a full face sheild use that.  READ THE DIRECTIONS!!!
  • RobG
    No forclosure

Paul, no foreclosure, just an old urinal and piping.

Pipeking, will Sizzle damage the pipes?

As well, I have not pulled the urinal, just snaked it. (I am trying to avoid that if I can help it, I can not think of a more disgusting job). I HATE URINALS!  That's one of the many reasons that I left plumbing for heating.

Any more ideas?

Rob 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Clean Urinals:

I have never ever been able to get any kind of a snake through a urinal. I have found that Muriatic acid at the highest strength , 40%? works. pour it in and let it sit for a while, then flush with water. I repeat it over and over. At first, I have to be careful that it doesn't foam over.

I've tried other things, they don't work as well as Muriatic Acid.

I've never tried it on PVC oioe though,
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    Rydlyme

I've used this Apex product to dissolve mineral deposits in plumbing fixtures, and tankless coils; it is safe to handle, and extremely effective.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    I believe that is Albumin....

Protein from urine...yes..it is like concrete. You can spend hours messing around with snakes and chemicals which can be nasty dangerous. If I cant get it with a snake after 15 minutes now...its direct replacement. It takes years to get THAT clogged. Mad Dog
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    with maddog

sawzall and replace
This discussion has been closed.