Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Compressor Burn out

Options
This is R-22 system for three door reach-in refrigerator. when a compressor burnout what happens to the refrigerant and oil? does the freon get contaminated and converts from what?

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Options
    Burn baby burn!

When the oil gets contaminated , it can develop hydrochloric ,hydrofluoric( etch glass anyone?) and olayic acids. It is my understanding that the freon does not get damaged.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Damaged refrigerant

The refrigerant does get damaged, as the hydrofluoric and hydrofluoric acids are formed, in part, by the fluorine and the chlorine in R-22.

Happy Presidents Day.... a little early
    Eugene
  • Techman
    Options
    Damaged freon

If reusing the damaged freon ,does installing acid neutralizing filter driers reconstitute the freon back into an acceptable condition? I recover the freon thru filter driers, put the freon back into the same system, install acid F/D's , and I have no known problems. I have no repeat comp failurers, on the same system, so I believe I'm doing the proper thing!
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    3 door reach in

We are talking what 18oz of refrigerant? Put nice clean freon in and a clean up dryer on the suction side. Also put a hh dryer on the liquid side and sleep easy my friend.
  • Techman
    Options
    18oz

How about 18lbs.or 10lbs. And since I don't have any repeat burnouts I do sleep easy. Small stuff, no problem replaceing the freon.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    18#s

Must be satans three door reach in.
This discussion has been closed.