Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking for a New Boiler

BrianO
BrianO Member Posts: 12
I need a new boiler for my home and wanted opinions. I currently use an oil fired 3 section cast iron boiler with a coil for domestic hot water. Any recommendations on a make and model for replacement? I live in an area where LP gas is an option also if I want to convert from oil. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks guys!

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Need a little more info...

Is this baseboard heat?

how many zones"

What is your heat loss?

I would go Buderus G115 with a riello {a lot of guys on here like carlins too} and a smart 40 indirect water heater...

If you want to go propane a Buderus gas boiler G134 {really good deals on these rite now} and a rinnai tankless water heater... If you dont like a tankless you can go indirect or direct too....
  • BrianO
    edited February 2013
    Looking for a New Boiler

please see above
  • BrianO
    need a little more info...

It is baseboard. 3 zones with an additional in place with a zone valve to use for domestic hot water. I didn't need it because the boiler had a coil, but now I'm thinking of having a greater reserve of hot water. My heat loss is about 80,000byu's. I don't think I'll have the need for more than that, but 100,000 or so probably wouldn't be too bad just to give the system some extra kick.
  • earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2013
    Extra kick

Is a bad idea. I don't know where you got your number for BTUs and I don't know where you live. But if your numbers are right then those are the BTUs needed to maintain a home's temp on a 15 degree day here on Long Island. How many days do we get those low temps? For most of the heating season even the best sized boiler is oversized.

As far as what type of system is best, all I will suggest is a low mass three pass boiler which is oil fired. I prefer the Riello burner. LP is more expensive than oil and contains about 93,000 BTUs per gallon compared to oil's approximate 137.000 BTUs per gallon.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    If the 80K is correct...

I would go with the Buderus G115ws3 and a smart 40 tank, I would take out the zone valves and install 4 Bumble bee circulators and set them up for delta T, then setup the g115 with either the logamatic {expensive} or a hydrostat 3250 plus and Outdoor sensor, and a taco 4 zone priority zone control...

That will be a very nice system, I would do a little measuring and heat loss each room, then figure if the baseboard is oversized, if it is and you can get away with 160 high limit, then I would go up a couple sizes on the indirect and set the high limit at 160.. then set the control to ignore the odr on Priority hot water calls, but the hottest your water will ever have to get is 160*.... And with delta t circulators you will have efficient motors and you will know that your heat isnt just circulating at will it is working on a 30* {or where ever you set them} delta T and you are getting your energy out of the water before returning it back to the water battery....
  • BrianO
    extra kick

Well, I over-rated the need as it turns out. I only have about 94 linear feet of baseboard throughout the house. Based on 580btu's/ft, I only need about 54,520BTU's. Looks like I can get away with a smaller unit. I live in upstate N.Y. and we've been getting plenty of those days below 15 degrees. I think I'm going to stick with oil.
  • BrianO
    If the 80K is correct...

I love the Buderus G115ws3! I like the smart 40 too. I'll check into the pricing on the 4 Bumble bee circulators. I appreciate the idea on the domestic water differential issue too. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.