Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Problems

Jaybird845
Jaybird845 Member Posts: 8
I recently added a zone to my oil heat boiler. The thermostat is set for 68 and the room temp is 63. If I turn the thermostat up to 70 I hear a click the zone valve opens. The radiators get hot. The zone runs for a little while. Shuts off before the thermostat even gets up to 70. All the other zones operate fine.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    pics?

thermostat, and location?
  • Jaybird845
    Zone Problem

The zone is an upstairs bedroom. It is a Honeywell thermostat located in the room that is cold. It is away from the baseboard heat on an inside wall. It is not near windows or in a drafty area.
  • billtwocase
    what model

honeywell thermostat? 
  • Jaybird845
    Thermostat

CT87K
  • billtwocase
    t87k

is a terrible thermostat. Among the worst. Go with the digital Pro-1000. everything else, from what I can see, looks OK.
  • Jaybird845
    Thermostat pic

Here is a picture of the thermostat with the setting of 68 and the room temp of 63. Not calling for heat
  • Jaybird845
    Thermostat

It is the same thermostat I have everywhere in house
  • billtwocase
    you can check

the dip switches in the back, but more often than not, we would change out 3-4 of these things until one would stay within a couple of degrees of where it was set. I have had them off as much as 10 degrees. This was a hurry up replacement for the T87 mercury thermostat. Still unbeatable in my eyes. 
  • Jaybird845
    T87

Ok i was mistaken about my other thermostats. They are T87 mercury type that you mention. I have remove one of these and put in the problem area. I will see if that works. I have dipswicth 1 off and 2 on for hot water baseboard on the CT87K
  • billtwocase
    sounds like a plan

The old T87 base plate needs to be level. 
  • Jaybird845
    T87

The T87 seems to be working. The room temperature is still not up to the temperature set on the thermostat, but at least it is within 2 degrees. I have the thermostat set on 70 and the zone shuts off at 68. Weird. I did level the thermostat.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    another validation of the original T87

So I have to wonder - is there some country where they still allow mercury switches in which Honeywell has a presence?
  • Jaybird845
    Still not working right

The heat is coming on and flowing, but shuts down before the room gets up to temperature. I don't know why this is happening.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Bad thermostat...

I would change that thermostat out, if the problem persists but an ohm meter on the 2 wires and watch it stop calling, if the ohm meter is buzzing with continuity after the zone closes than it is a zone valve head problem.... But my money is on t-stat problem....
  • billtwocase
    not the thermostat

They can be calibrated. 
This discussion has been closed.