Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

connecting Efm 520 to an oil burner

tbart16
tbart16 Member Posts: 23
I am hooking a Hot water efm 520 coal stoker into an existing oil fired hot water system. I was looking for advice on the piping. The stoker will be located in a barn approximately 100" feet from the oil burner. I was planning on adding an expansion tank to the stoker and was curious as to pump placement the 100' run is about level. Any advice appreciated thanks Tom

Comments

• Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Electric Furnace Man

You can add an expansion tank on the EFM piping if you would like...if you don't, you will need to install a larger one on the oil system. Redundancy is nice...I say add a second tank.

Hook the boilers supply to supply, return to return, and be sure to bury some control wire (thermostat wire) with the piping...that way you don't need to keep the boiler hot and circulating 24/7. You will save a lot of coal by letting the boiler idle at a lower temperature and only circulating/stoking when there is a heat call.

Do you have a set of jackets for the EFM?
  • tbart16
    thanks

great thought about control wire in the ditch and the low idle.

i have a jacket off of a smaller 250? 60s vintage EFM its kind of rough I don't have any 520 jackets. sorry

thanks Tom
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527

The "little brother" to the 520 is a 350, and those jackets won't fit a 520.  Unless you intend to heat the area that the 520 will be in, I suggest you buy a sheet of foil-faced hard foam insulation and make a "jacket" for the boiler with it....foil tape works well to seal it up.

Make sure the tubing you are putting underground is big enough to carry the btu's you need.  Make sure that ground water can't get in the underground conduit. 

Also, if you want to learn more about coal stokers and EFM units in general, I suggest you join nepacrossroads.com   There is a special section just for EFM units.
  • tbart16
    efm

we are planning on heating the area the coal stoker is and I am also running 1" lines for the feed and return underground I am using the same insulated piping used for outdoor wood boilers
This discussion has been closed.