Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valves on Priority DHW.

Options
At present I have two zone pumps for five zones with valves and another pump for DHW. I am controlling priority by shutting off the zone pumps. The pumps all have IFC's. I have tried a number of things, swing checks, ball checks, messing with the piping. I hate flow checks at this point. They are all too noisy for my taste. So, I want to rewire the system.

My thinking is that if I shut the zone valves off on a priority DHW call, then I don;t need the flow checks in the zone pumps at all.

Is there a way to wire up a relay panel to do this or is it a roll your own kind of thing?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Taco

sr503 with optional priority?Nevermind, I have to read better.
  • ChasMan
    ChasMan Member Posts: 462
    Options
    SR503

Yes, the SR503 is what I have with a few mods.. Im using the boilers reset control to do the priority since it also has DHW scheduling and thermostat as well. But even if I use the SR503 for priority, it still just has 24VAC constant on. What I was thinking was an extra set of contacts to cut 24VAC motor power to the valves on a priority call for heat. I guess it isn;t that hard to rig but it doesn;t appear to be SOP. I just want those flowchecks gone if I get a little ghost flow or gravity flow through the zone pumps I think I should be ok as long as the zone valves are closed. I worry about hammer though since the DHW pump will start as all the zone valves close at the same time.. Might be ok. I guess I will have to try it.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    We used what's called

a RIB relay once to prioritize one zone valve out of 4 for an indirect . A zone valve with normally open / normally closed contacts can do the same . 

Personally I'd keep one circ for the indirect and one for the heat and make 'em run with a reset control . When we use zone valves with an IFC circ , we usually pop out the check .
This discussion has been closed.