Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need to Choose Right Equipment for Oil to Gas conversion

afl76
afl76 Member Posts: 3
I'm hoping this site will provide me with some valuable insight as we're in a dilemma about which products to choose. We would really appreciate your advice. My family is contemplating the switch from Oil to gas and just need to decide what system to go with. We've had a couple NationalGrid recommended plumbers size the job and we can go with the Burnham options (85% or 96% efficient) or try out the Navien combo system which is both heat and hot water.

There's four of us (2 adults/2children) and the house is @ 1800 sq ft. split ranch, with one zone. (Also have a bedroom over the attached garage which gets/stays cold and think I should heat the garage...but that's off-subject, but I'll take advice!).

Currently have a 50 gallon electric hot water heater and an oil burner that is past its useful life. Electric and oil will drop dramatically... So, we know we need to switch, but just need some direction on the right path to take.

Thanks in advance,

A/

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited January 2013
    Boiler

What is the existing boiler? How old is it? Is it in good shape? Any contractor considering replacing the boiler, must do a "Heat Loss" for the structure.Otherwise they can waste your money faster than you can earn it.The boiler has to be matched to the load,or you're burning dollars. I suggest you try the Find a Contractor section here. You will see how the process is suppose to work.Where are you located?
  • BartR
    BartR Member Posts: 3
    Similar situation here too.

Have a fairly new Burnham Boiler. Says V8 Series. Looking for recommendations for the same for an oil to gas conversion. What boiler should we spec out to replace this thing with? Think it is around 130000 BTU.
  • Paul48
    New(fairly)

That boiler is probably a good candidate for a conversion burner. Look at the Carlin ez-gas to get an idea what I'm talking about.
  • BartR
    Looks like a new gas based flame unit for the front?

Is that possible for my unit? Sounds like it is much cheaper. The companies out so far only gave us the option for an 85% efficient new boiler in our budget.
  • afl76
    Boiler (specs)

Back to y question... Just looked up the LIPA/NationalGrid Home Assessment performed by a contractor last year... It says the boiler is from 1977 [35 yrs old!], is a lowspeed burner, with Hydronic baseboard distribution and has overall efficiency of 70% (Tested SSE @ 80%?).  Their assessment did not recommend replacement "but always look for Energy Star models in the future".  The assessment also tested combustion and reported @ 26 ppm (100 ppm being the limit). 

Not sure if I want to go with heat loss analysis b/c contractor suggested the CH-210, but I think I'd prefer the 240 just in case.
  • BartR
    Actually 6 years old

Boiler is actually only 6 years old according to the original manufacturer date. How long do they usually last? I would think much longer than that?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    much longer

If properly installed and maintained.  The key there is "if." 
  • Paul48
    Bart

Please start your own thread.
  • Paul48
    afl76

If a heat loss was done, go with the results of that. Do you have a copy of the heat loss? You say you prefer to over-size, just in case......in case of what?
  • afl76
    Afl76 - boiler

Not sure if heat loss was done - wasn't provided so don't think so... But I will ask. Thanks.

Our concern is that with added or extended usage (more people) that we might need extra horsepower from the unit. Is that illogical?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    added or extended

assuming this is in reference to domestic hot water production, it can nearly always be solved by proper indirect sizing.
This discussion has been closed.