Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Value New Gas Furnace ???

Options
DSquared
DSquared Member Posts: 7
Hello,

Our tenant come home to a furnace outage tonight on a Carrier unit.  We've had one heating Co. do a service call with an ending recommendation to look at a new system.....I am interested in hearing comments on what questions I need to be asking of tech (over phone as we are out of the area) and also favorite best value new gas furnaces for a home in the outskirts of Washington DC. (15 miles out)

The home is a split level (4 floors, 1/2 sets of stairs) with about 1800 square feet and an unfinished basement. The home currently has a 1996 Carrier Furnace (Model # 58LXA080-16). I don't know much more about it.

The technician visited and at this point the igniter has been replace and we've been told the blower motor needs to be replaced to get it working   or    with an offer to invest in a new unit (with free estimate).  The renter is without her husband to oversee what is going on with the furnace, and mine is likewise unavailble in the next 48 hours to discuss this in detail, but she is without heat and I don't know if I am being taken advantage of.

Our bill with install of igniter and service call is $400 - plus an estimated $600 + install for blower motor. I saw that price is not to be discussed, but this is really one of my two issues.....is this in the ball park for parts price and service call?  Also, we are likely going to put our house on the market this summer, so having a new heater may be a good selling point, but there are too many options for a furnace green buyer.  Are we looking at $3000 for a 90% efficient or $4000 for something similar to what is there? 

Thanks for any feedback...

Debra

Favorite Gas Furnaces in the 90 - 92 % ??? I don't see a need for a high efficiency 96% as there is (I believe) only one zone.

Comments

• RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    Furnace Issues

Contact Dan Foley of Foley Mechanical. Look in the "Find a Contractor" section on this site. He will provided you with the best information and service you will find in the D.C. metro area.

Rob 
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    Best possible installer

Everyone has their own opinion on best brand. If we had a cost based job like a rental or house for sale, we'd probably go with an Allied brand unit, 95% single stage. Allied is a Lennox division selling under Armstrong, AirEase, Concord, Ducane. The furnaces are very much like a Lennox with a different control & ignitor. Made in Iowa. So far this new line has done well. If someone wanted higher end we might switch to a Rheem. Their tubular heat exchangers are near bulletproof. Their top of the line modulating furnace IMHO is the best made.

But look for a great installer. If Dan can help you, super. I've been reading is posts on here for years.
This discussion has been closed.