Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LAARS Endurance EBP 110 help!

initram
initram Member Posts: 15
Hello,

I have a LAARS Endurance EBP 110 which started going into lock out today. Pressing the reset button re-initiated the ignition attempts but it would make a bang/boom noise as it would attempt to ignite. It seems to try about 2 or 3 times and then returns to lock out mode. Turning the boiler completely off and back on again, and then pressing the reset button seems to do the trick. I replaced the ignitor about one year ago... so I don't think it would have failed again so quickly.

I am hesitant to call a professional, as I've had a few in the past try to con me into buying random parts without actually troubleshooting/testing anything.

So if anyone can give me any hints as to what could be causing this problem it would be appreciated. If it's something that is out of scope for a DIY'er, can anyone recommend any honest heating service companies which service Sudbury, Ontario in Canada.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Find a pro

Ask a friend, parent, relative, co-worker, neighbor who they use and trust.

The situation sounds possible dangerous especially if using oil or propane fuels.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    edited December 2011
    not your granddaddy's boiler

Even if you find someone you trust, they still might not have the experience on how these boilers operate. I would call Laars Canada and ask if they can recommend a qualified service company that can work on the EBP. Their number is 905.238.0100

I don't think you need parts. Sounds like the heat exchanger coil may need cleaned with the boom noise. If the vent isn't pitched downward toward the termination, condensate will drip into the coil and clog the coil. Also the combustion may have never been set up from the beginning. The service tech will need blank orifices, a drill index A - Z if nat. gas or 1-60 if LP, a combustion analyzer and a magnehelic to set it up. So, most service techs won't have the knowledge to do this that don't deal with the EBP's on a regular basis.

Good Luck
  • initram
    Thanks.

Thanks for all the help. I looked under "Service Centers" on the Laars website and it brought up http://www.naussplumbing.ca/ which is in my area. I guess I'll give them a shot. The problem hasn't reoccurred today. So I'll wait a bit in hoping it was just a temporary problem.

Thanks again.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    be sure to ask
    1. Don't hesitate to ask if they have someone who is truly proficient with the EBP and knows how to check combustion gases. It could save you a lot of grief.

• Scrooge
    Scrooge Member Posts: 1
    Lock out

I have a laars endurance EBP 110 that has been going into lock out (LO) when I hit the reset button the unit fires up, but it only stays on for a short time then returns to lock out. What could be causing this? Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.
  • initram
    re: Lock out

What code is it giving you when you hold down the temp/message button? It should give you a code. I kept getting the F-2 code which is the safety limit switch is tripped. I changed the switch which didn't help. I also started getting 3 dashes (---) on the display which indicated the the main control board was continually rebooting. This narrowed it down to a defective reset switch or a defective main control board. I bypassed the reset switch and the issue still remained. I then replaced the main control board and my boiler hasn't failed since, and it's been 6 months now. I had a few repair guys come over and were never able to figure it out... so don't assume that all heating repair companies know how to repair a boiler. The technicians I've seen only know how to change parts and steal your money... no troubleshooting skills!
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    scrooge

Try pulling the front door off and run it. If it runs without problems for a day or two you need a heat tech with a combustion analyzer to set up the burner properly after he does a thorough cleaning on the unit. The LO is a pretty common problem when you are not set up for combustion quite right and these Laars are finicky.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
This discussion has been closed.