Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

need help reading the pressure gauge

I don't know how to read the pressure. I've attached a picture of the gauge on the boiler. The boiler was not on when I took the picture. Is this okay? Do I need to lower it? If so, how do I know how much?

some background - I just got finished reading Dan's book, We Got Steam Heat. My family moved into a 90 year home in central NJ with steam heat in October. We replaced the 20+ year old boiler within days of moving in. We have radiators that leak LOTS of water, banging noises, etc. After reading the book, I opened all the supply values (I thought they regulated heat so I turned some halfway, now I know that was wrong) and measured my pipes in the basement so I can buy insulation. The one thing I need help with is reading the pressure gauge so I'm posting here. I'm hoping we are on our way to a quieter house with fewer water puddles.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Pressure

Set the right side scale at 2psi. Your boiler should operate correctly at much less than that, but it's the lowest that control allows.

Do youhave more picturesof the boiler and piping?
  • Elena08904
    Elena08904 Member Posts: 8
    more pictures

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. I've added more pictures. One is the boiler. One is taken from the front and the other photo from the side.

Also, most importantly, how do I lower the pressure? Is this something I can do myself?
  • Elena08904
    more pictures

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. I've added more pictures. One is the boiler. One is taken from the front and the other photo from the side.

Also, most importantly, how do I lower the pressure? Is this something I can do myself?
  • JStar
    edited December 2012
    Pressure

There is a slottedscrew on top that can be turnedto adjust it.

That boiler is not piped anything near to correct. That is most definitely causing a lot of your problems.

http://www.usboiler.net/products/boilers/independence/assets/INPV.pdf

Refer to page 7 of the installation instructions.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    Elena the photo you have

Is the pressuretrol not the gauge. Adjust the pressuretrol down to its lowest setting to start with. As for the piping it is not as it should be for the system to work properly. The other issue could also be the boiler is not sized properly, I would guess it is too large but that is just a guess at this point.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Elena08904
    oh boy :(

Ugh...I had a local (older) plumber who said he had lots of experience with steam heat size and install the new boiler. He has done other work for me so I thought it was wise for me to hire him.
  • JStar
    edited December 2012
    Boiler

Edit
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Stictly Steam

Hello Elena,

15I'm a steam homeowner like yourself who has been helped immensely by this site. I might suggest you repost this to the Strictly Steam section and read some of the recent posts. By measuring the edr of your radiators you can see whether or not your boiler is sized correctly. I can't comment on the mistakes made in the piping, but it should be done in black pipe, not copper. This can lead to all sorts of problems.

What kind of boiler do you have? You can probably find the near boiler piping manual online with which to compare your own.  What yo are ecperiencing is not normal, but the result for the install more than likely. Good luck.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    It has to be piped in threaded steel

I agree the pressure should be turned down to 2 PSI on the main setting, higher pressure just causes problems and you have enough without adding that to the list.

If you look in the install manual that came with the boiler (Burnham IN series?), page 17 is the piping layout for the Burnham IN series. The boiler has to be piped like the diagram or it will never work correctly. Also it has to be piped in threaded steel pipe for the steam because the piping has to move as it heats and cools or it will tear the boiler apart and probably cause the soldered joints in the copper pipe to start leaking.

Call the installer back and tell him the boiler has to be piped per the install manual and it must be in threaded steel on the steam piping, copper is fine on the return side. The system will never work correctly piped like that and the boiler will fail prematurely.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    piping

I agree with Bob   should be repiped in blk pipe with cast iron fittings to allow pipe movement ( see swing joints )  the way it is now there will be pressure against the boiler sections causing problems
    RJ
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    piping diagrams

Are nice and clear - but I see no requirement for black iron pipe?  Methinks they doth assume too much with regard to installer cluefulness... 
  • JStar
    Steam

I made an appointment to look at her system next week. I'll report more details afterwards.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The problem is

Your boiler is installed sideways.
  • JStar
    Update

We fixed the piping and upgraded the main venting. We also went back a few weeks later to thoroughly clean the boiler (wild sight glass movement). Copper always seems to trash up a boiler.

More photos here...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.433213893414525.96184.353747484694500&type=1
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    beautiful work

but how DID you get that boiler to work on its side?
  • JStar
    Sideways

It's a dead men secret.
This discussion has been closed.