Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Infrared

Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
I would like to know if you have any information on the Cox Wondaire LP Conversion kits My E-Mail address is jmil22243@Hotmail.Com.

Comments

• Frenchie
    Frenchie Member Posts: 113
    Infrared?

Has anyone heard of or tried the EdenPure infrared heaters talked about on Paul Harvey news? They are supposed to be so energy efficient it sounds hard to believe. WOW they sure are expensive for a space heater (I just looked on the web) I wonder if this is another one of those "fuel line magnet" type of thing!
  • Infrared has been around for a long

time and they are 100% efficient because they are not flued. They are limited however in their use: hockey rinks, warehouses, aircraft hangers and they must be at least 8' above any possible igntion source among other things.
  • Brad White_152
    Brad White_152 Member Posts: 23
    Vented IR Heaters

All heaters I have specified (Co-Ray-Vac, Detroit Radiant Reverber-Ray, Schwant, Cambridge and others) all have been vented to the outside and most have taken combustion air in directly from the outside.

These are the overhead reflective, low-intensity tube type.

What is neat about them is that, being radiant, they do save money over gas fired unit heaters and moving all of that air. Must be that cycling effect plus the even comfort even in cooler spaces.

Properly designed for coverage, and as Tim said, with clearances to combustibles, they are stil quite efficient and very comfortable.

I have used them in aircraft hangars, swimming pools (porcelain coated and with ducted OA for sure!), truck repair facilities and warehouses. Not in low clearance applications although I am told this has been done.

"Some" heaters are ventless and are of the panel type that I have seen. These are for outdoor use only such as a concierge or valet station, bus stations and the like. I have never specified these, just have seen them.
  • bert
    bert Member Posts: 50
    radiant parts

While on this subject, does any one know where to get parts for Wondaire Model "Radiant 100" low intensity burners? I thuoght it was part of Cox maybe twenty years ago or so, but cannot track it down.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Cox burners

Cox parts were available up till about 2 yrs ago, I still have some parts for them. We work on quite a few types of equipment that have Cox Wondaire burners on them. ? what part do you need.
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Interesting. Not however what I would call an "infrared" heater. While the heat energy is produced by an infrared quartz light source, the living area is not directly exposed to the IR. Instead, it heats an internal copper heat exchanger and uses a fan to move air across the heat exchanger.

The entire outside stays quite cool, so it's really an almost 100% convective heater.

The claims of energy savings are rather dubious and come solely from supposedly better utilization of heat--not from a more efficient source of heat. Still electric and a watt is still a watt...

Definitely not in the "fuel line magnet" category, but worth the price? It would seem that a little electric ceramic "furnace" of similar output would produce nearly the same character of heat and cost MUCH less.

I did not notice a UL listing--unusual for an electric space heater. It also appears that the IR heat source is not user replaceable and the unit must be returned to the factory.
  • Dave_4
    Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
    Cox Wondaire Radiant Heaters.

Saw your note on Heating Help.com. I am looking for a few of the heat exchanger tubes, Item "B" for a RAD 100ii. They are 4" dia and appear to be about 6' long. They are black and have a bell style slip fit end on them.
    Thanks
    terrybauer@bauerequipment.com
  • oldjohn
    oldjohn Member Posts: 1
    Cox infrareds

I have a customer looking for the complete blower asembly for a model JAM063NV & S.N. 09EF-75392R. he is wanting three of them. Any Luck on these?
This discussion has been closed.