Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reoccuring Sludge problems

I recently received a question from someone at our local OESP chapter meeting and I thought I'd post it hear to see if anyone had any thoughts:

"We (the servicemen) are starting to see that rubbery black sludge clogging up lines and whistle vents again.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or solvents to add to minimize this. Also, specifically why this is happening.

I had a customer with 2 tanks and a clogged line twice in 10 months today.

This is frustrating for the customer as you know and doesn't help the oil industry with maintaining customers."

I certainly have thoughts on how I would address this, but I'm posting the question here to get some new ideas. Looking forward to your thoughts.

David Visaggi

Inside Oil Consulting

<a href="http://www.insideoil.com/">www.insideoil.com</a>

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    one word

Filtration. If the line is plugging, the filter is either not present, or needs one that actually filters-like a General or Garber. I have not noticed any more "sludge" problems recently. If there is one, STR-2 from Sids is doing the job for us. 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I had heard....

a while back that some of the big oil depot companies were putting palm oil into the #2 supply... caused a bunch of problems for a lot of guys here in NH. Makes me wonder how "pure" the supply is.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    palm oil

After transesterification it blends just fine...
  • Steve_152
    Steve_152 Member Posts: 26
    sludge..

at regular tune-up, and  if  no heat call =plugged  filter, strainer etc...i always add sid's  STR -2 +    .......have tried  most everything  for treatments...this  one is  only  one i will use now.../  been   doing this work since  mid 70's .....been lic. as master since  early 80's...also  stationary  engineer.. for  heavy oil...big  boilers...
This discussion has been closed.