Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

zone valve question

cf
cf Member Posts: 3
Have a taco 3 wire valve on geothermal system would like to replace with honeywell v8043

wondered if anyone had tips on the wiring to make it easy.

any response greatly appreciated.

Comments

• HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    2-wire

3-wire powers the valve open and closed. The H/W is spring closed, so now you only use 2 wires to power it open.

Other factors may be involved though such as a signal from the 3 wire must be changed to end switch operation from the 2-wire valve head.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    are all 3 terminals used on the Taco?

Easy wiring. Your #1 on your taco will become TH on the H/W, #2 on the taco will become TR and jump it to the end switch terminal above it. #3 on the taco will be the other end switch terminal. The bottom far left terminal on the Honeywell is nothing, and not used. If there are only 2 wires on your Taco, the end switch will not have wires connected to it. Only TH and TR will be used, like an EK. Good luck
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Taco

That is not a power open/power close valve.

With the Taco valve You aply power to two of the terminals and this opens the valve - the third wire feeds power back to the heat pump to start the compressor.

The Honeywell valve may not have enough closing force to stop the water flow.

I would replace it with another TACO.
  • cf
    thanks for the replies

plumbed in the hw and you were right won't close all the way. will be talking to the salesman tomorrow. and yes the taco uses all 3 wires and thanks for the how to on the wiring.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    system pressure

I believe the old taco valves were a slow opening globe valve design ( heat motor ) I believe the mh valve use a spring and rubber ball device, I would check both manufacts. for pressure drop and flow data   There have been water hammer problems in the past if the wrong valve is installed.  I agree with Steve.
    RJ
  • cf
    Thanks for the advice

Where is a good place to buy the Taco valve.
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    taco

most hvac supply houses should stock them  Taco is a large manufact. of valves pumps etc
    RJ
This discussion has been closed.