Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water collecting in a few vents

BARGO
BARGO Member Posts: 11
Is there any steam vent that drains water easily back into the radiator?  I have 2 vents I am constantly taking off to drain the water.  I don't really understand why it won't drain back into the radiator.  The pitch on the radiator is right.  The water is just trapped in the vent where it is connected to the radiator.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    waterlogged vents

what make of vents are these? some makes are worse than others, especially if your main vents are non-functional, and your pressure too high.--nbc
  • BARGO
    bdwayne@comcast.net

Maid O Mist I believe they are called.  I have a faster vent opening on this radiator
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Water logged vents

What sort of main vents are on the mains?

You probably have a 0-30 psi gauge on the boiler, which is inaccurate for measuring the under 1pound pressures these systems work best at, but does the pointer ever move?

You may need to get a 0-3 psi gauge to get to the bottom of this.--NBC
  • BARGO
    bdwayne@comcast.net

It is a 0-30psi gage and it never moves.  I have included a photo of the main vent.  I thought they were not supposed to go straight up?  Ihave the pressure set at 1/2 to 1.  It is hard to read.  Should I increase the pressure?

Dwayne
  • BARGO
    more pictures

Should this main steam line be vented too?  I mean should a vent be drilled into this big pipe.  This is the major steam pipe.  
  • vents with water

i am sure that main vent does not have enough capacity to let the air out with no resistance. as it is any wet steam is piling up in the radiator vents, and spitting out on the floor.

when was the last time the pigtail was checked and cleaned? if that is blocked, neither the useless 0-30 psi gauge codes require will see any pressure and the boiler will keep firing until the prv blows.--nbc
  • BARGO
    prv?

What is the prv?  From the picture where would you add the vents.  You can't put it on the main can you?  I have always had wet steam.  I don't know on the pigtail.  I will find out.  I'll replace the gauge.  Thanks for your help.
  • BARGO
    oh yeah

The boiler does seem to fire and not be on long enough to make steam and then shut off sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.