Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EZ-Gas acoustic cover retrofit?

Options
JeffM
JeffM Member Posts: 182
I recently has my Weil-McLain SGO oil boiler converted to gas with a Carlin EZ-Gas burner (driving a one-pipe steam system in an 1890 Victorian house). This is running nicely now and should save me a bundle this winter. I have noticed that the EZ-Gas is noisier than the oil burner that I previously had. I've seen a few references to an acoustic cover for these burners ... is that something that can be retrofit to these burners?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Noise

I believe most of the noise is from the boiler and flue pipe. The burner cover may reduce noise slightly, but keep your expectations within reason. My boiler was recently converted with an ez-gas, and is slightly more noisy(no cover). I find it comforting to hear the boiler. It lets me know that all is well, but that's just my take on it. If it bothered me, I'd probably explore acoustic(sound absorbing) materials that could be placed above and at a safe distance from the boiler and venting.
  • JeffM
    Options
    higher pitch

Thanks, that's useful input. While louder, it's a "better" noise than the oil burner made (more of a whoosh than a rumble) which doesn't carry as far through the house. So it's only noisier in the basement and the rooms just above and adjacent to the boiler.
  • conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    Options
    same with riello g400

Running a riello g400 (w/ acoustic cover) since 10-17-12 on converted boiler. I thought the new burner would be quieter than old beckett oil afg, but I did not realize how loud the fan would be on the ng burner. Plus as pointed out most of the roar is probably my large boiler (672 steam rate) which is now flue vented to chimney top so that seems to magnify the noise. Overall the roar of the boiler reminds me of money flying out the door but at least now with ng vs oil I dont feel quite so broke.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    retrofit

I have a newly installed ezgas with the Smith G8 and it looks like the gas gun has to be removed from the boiler to install the cover. Also the wiring has to be redone to pass through the covers mounting plate. It muffles the higgher frequency noise reasonably well but won't do much for any low frequency noise.

At one time they were charging a pretty stiff price for the acoustic cover if the gas gun wasn't bought with it at the same time, I don't know if that's still true.

i have the install instructions that came with mine and i'd be glad to scan and send them to you. For some reason i can't post PDF's so give me your email if you want a copy.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JeffM
    Options
    duct?

Bob, I think I saw a photo of your EZ-Gas in another thread (the cover is black, right?). It looks like it has some sort of intake duct on the top - you just leave that open to boiler room air?

Check your messages - I sent you a note with my e-mail address to send the cover PDF to. Thanks!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Don't need that

unless your connecting it to a duct to bring in outside air. i don't no why the installer put it on, I'll probably remove it because it's just to easy to inadvertently drop some thing in there.

And you right mine is black, I've seen pictures of some blue ones but this one says it's for Carlin gas or oil guns.

Let me know if have any problems with the PDF's I emailed you.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.