Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard Manufacturer??

waterboy
waterboy Member Posts: 6
I know there are many people out here that have more experience than myself.  I am looking for anyone who may know who the maker of the baseboard pics I am attaching.  I want to replace the push nipples and the radiator connections.  I am fixing up a room in my basement and would like to use these to heat the space.

Thanks

Brian E

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Baseboards:

They are probably American Standard.

But it doesn't matter, they aren't made anymore and haven't been for years.

But that doesn't matter, the only problem you will have is with end caps/valve enclosures. Standard 3/4" push nipples work in all baseboard, and standard radiator baseboard unions work in them all.

You will need to find a pair of squeezers to put them together and to show you how to use them.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I have those also

I think they are American Standard like Ice said. I have used a 3/4" tap to thread where the push nipple seat. If you want to go that route, I have done it for years
  • icesailor
    Hold on:

Hold on, you have a "Tap"? Don't use a tap, taps are for repairing and chasing threads. I am assuming that you know that there are left and right end sections which are threaded 3/4" on one end. The other end is machined to accept the push nipples. Usually, all you need to do is carefully clean out any crud on the machine surfaces. Some sand cloth on a 3/4" copper fitting brush does a good job. Intermediate sections are drilled for push nipples on both ends.

Maybe someone has a machinist ream that will fit the push nipple holes but I have never seen one back in the day. Now, anyone that wants to do cast iron baseboard has to find a set of squeezers to rent or borrow.

If you don't know the finer points of joining cast iron baseboards, ask. Some of us know how it is done and will gladly explain. If you already know, fingers get tired.
  • icesailor
    edited October 2012
    Hold On

• waterboy
    waterboy Member Posts: 6
    baseboard

I have not done cast iron baseboard before.  I do know about needing to use squeezers thou.  I do not know the finer points thou.  If you could enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.  I have done a fair amount of hydronic work but not with this type yet.

Thanks
  • Bob Vennerbeck
    Bob Vennerbeck Member Posts: 105
    cast iron baseboard connections

I inherited a partially completed renovation project using a lot of salvaged American Standard cast iron baseboard - my late friend got it from some factory demolition, and brought it home in 8, 10, 12' assemblies - there weren't very many factory ends in what he got, so he (and then I) tapped the push nipple holes in the ends of the pieces we had, and installed 3/4" NPT fittings using Expando pipe cement, as the push nipple holes are oversize for a pipe thread, and no amount of dope and tape would get them to seal.

End result - extraordinary heat with a clean 'industrial look' - we polished brass street els to make the connections at the ends to red pex risers and left them exposed.

Vbob
This discussion has been closed.