Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming a steam boiler

mgmine
mgmine Member Posts: 58
Is it possible to skim a boiler that has an automatic water feed but no by pass on it? I was told that I could use a washing machine hose with the connections on both ends to feed the water into the drain valve at the bottom of the boiler. The boiler does have a shutoff valve at the top to let the water out

Comments

• Toymotorhead
    Toymotorhead Member Posts: 54
    A picture is worth a thousand words

Is it possible to take a picture of the plumbing around your boiler and the automatic water feeder? Things like plumbing and all the various ways that things can be installed, and all the different models that are out there, are very difficult to describe via words. A picture or 3 will probably get you a solid answer pretty quickly.

Cheers

Richard.
    If you can't be good, at least be good at it.
  • mgmine
    pictures

Here are some pictures of the boiler.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Skimming

Yea, I suppose that will work.  In through the boiler drain, and out through the top.  The water feeder is installed incorrectly.  The Y should be aimed down instead of sideways.  I would be a little worried having that plastic water line so close to the boiler.  Here is a picture of how the water feeder should look.
  • mgmine
    Skimming a steam boiler

Thanks for the info. Since I would be bringing cold water in from the bottom should this be done with the boiler cooled down and off? I had thought about the pex pipe myself but it is not even warm where it is. Other than changing out the water valve is there any reason for a bypass? I could pipe  it myself if it is critical. If I can skim it from the bottom then that would be my main concern.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    The reason

for the bypass is for exactly what we are discussing today, Skimming.

I was trying to be nice about the plastic water line.  I could be wrong of course, but I wouldn't want any plastic within 10 feet of the boiler.  I wouldn't be able to sleep.  You know, in case there was a malfunction.
  • mgmine
    Skimming a steam boiler

Thanks, when the heating season is over I'll put copper in a melt down is something that I wouldn't want either!
This discussion has been closed.