Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water radiator -kitchen question

je0810
je0810 Member Posts: 1
Hi-

We are currently in process of a kitchen remodel.  We have large hot water radiators throughout our house.  We are trying to figure out the best placement of the radiator in the kitchen as we want to keep it, but need to add cabinets.

I am looking for any feedback on the following idea (specifically if there would be any negatives -building code violation, warping, etc.) : building a penisula that would encolse the radiator-stone countertop on top.  All plywood construction cabinets-we would take out the middle veneer of the shaker style door and put the decorative metal grids on both sets of the cabinet doors, a heat shield and insulation above, a heat shield on the side connecting to the other cabinets.  We would then still have heat flow into the kitchen on the one side of the penisula and into the eat-in area on the other side.

Thanks!

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    heat loss

Where does the kitchen lose heat?  Typically windows, outside walls, slab on grade, and attic (in roughly that order for most kitchens.)  Put the radiation between you and the heat loss to maximize comfort.

What water temp is your system running?  You might want to look at alternative radiation schemes for that space.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Alternative schemes

Kitchens and bathrooms are always challenging. I did my first radiant ceiling this summer. It hit 25 degrees last week (Alaska). The homeowners are very pleased.

But heat goes up right?:) Well not always.
This discussion has been closed.