Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please help me decide...

Options
Ve
Ve Member Posts: 4
Hi there,

I just moved into a 1100 s/f 1890's Victorian condo (1st floor). It came complete with a beautiful looking (chrome handles, shiney steel jacket) Janitrol Deluxe Gas Boiler circa 1970. I had it checked out, and despite it being in good working order, everyone wants me to junk it in place of a 95% AFUE Burnham Alpine or similar. The draw to replace it is strong, as I can get a rebate up to $3500 from Nstar Gas, if I replace before October 31st. Now here's the thing, I'm kinda an old foggie that believes newer is not necessarily better. This boiler has a standing pilot, which as you know, won't stop working if there is a power outage. Since I haven't spent a winter in my new place yet, I'm leaning towards keeping Ol' Faithful through this coming season and see how expensive it is to heat my place. I have replacement windows and newer insulation, so I hope I don't go broke.

Am I being foolish? I've looked at many gas boilers. I'm leaning towards the Weil Mclain GV90+AFUE if I decide to go ahead. Just can't decide. Please help!!!! Thanks!

Comments

• BostonGTR
    BostonGTR Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Rebate?

Wow, where do you live that NStar is offering a $3,500 rebate?  Good luck with the new condo!
  • Ve
    Options
    Rebate

If you have a gas boiler that's over 30 years old and get your gas from Nstar, they will provide up to a $3500 rebate towards the purchase of a new 90% + efficient bolier if you replace before 10/31/12. This is in Massachusetts.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Doubtful

I doubt the rebate will be in place next heating season, as consumers are flocking to switch from oil to gas now. The gas company here, use to give you a gas boiler to get you to convert, but no longer do. The more the gas companies are "sitting in the catbirds seat", the less incentives they'll offer. If that boiler starts leaking in December, you will have given away $3500. That's my take on it...FWIW...Good Luck and Best Wishes.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Standing Pilots:

Standing Pilots may stay lit during a power failure, but the appliance will not run because it needs electricity to run the controls.

Replace it. It will pay for itself. The 40 +/- unit is long past its sueful life and is living on borrowed time.

Replace it.
  • Ve
    Options
    Thanks Paul48

Your take on my situation is well appreciated. I think you're right about the rebates not being there indefinitely. Its a lot of money to say no to, so I think I may go ahead and install a new boiler.
  • Ve
    Options
    Thanks, Ice Sailor

A valuable piece of information I didn't know about standing pilot gas boilers. Final piece needed to make up my mind and move forward. Much obliged!
This discussion has been closed.