Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil to gas conversion

Options
I have a oil fired Crown steam boiler KSZ175B and a Becket model AFG burner and would like to change the gun to convert it to natural gas. The boiler is 3 years old. What gun would fit the Crown and what would be the specs. How efficient would it be and would I have to change the damper and get the chimney lined? From what I read since it is water jacketed that it would work effciently with several gas power burners. Is this accurate? I appreciate all the advice I can get. Thanks

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Burner

The Carlin EZ-Gas would work nicely. You would have to install a double-swing draft control, and you should line the chimney. You can expect to match the current efficiency of about 83%. Maybe a little better if everything is fine tuned.
  • Raiders
    Raiders Member Posts: 3
    Options
    oil to gas conversion

Thanks Jstar. Do you think I can also convert my oil fired hot water heater that currently has a Bach MSR burner by changing the gun to gas fired? The tank is only 3 years old or do you think it would be more econimical to by a new tank and gas fired burner? Thanks
  • JStar
    Options
    Water heater

A new tank will most likely cost less or the same as a gas burner.
  • Raiders
    Raiders Member Posts: 3
    Options
    oil to gas conversion

Thanks Jstar. Would anybody know of a good boiler technician/plumber in Hudson Valley area of NY who does oil to gas conversions and inserts power burners in a steam boiler? Thanks 
  • JStar
    Options
    Tech

I'm in NJ. If the town lets us do the work, and file permits, I'd be able to do the work for you.
This discussion has been closed.