Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Luxaire warranties

I have a 1 month old failed compressor on a luxaire 3.5 tn unit and the manufacturer wont cover it, has anybody out there had their claims turned down? The customer is pissed & so am I. I install quite a few of these things and may have to go to another brand.

Comments

• Did the Manufacturer Give a Reason?

Did you return the old compressor to the manufacturer? Did they test the compressor and give you a reason for not honoring the warranty? Is this a new unit, on which the compressor failed, or is this a replacement compressor that went bad?
    Eugene
  • fixitguy
    fixitguy Member Posts: 91
    Bad compressor

Oh yes, brand spanking new in july Bad compressor after a month, I havent had this happen before. I'm not pulling it out until they say its covered. I am a bit surprised to get the runaround from such a big company that sells millions of units.
  • What City and State are you in?

What city and state are you in? I am attempting to contact Luxair for you to see if we can assist you.
    Eugene
  • fixitguy
    luxaire warranty

Southern New York, Northern New Jersey
  • E-mail Sent

I sent an e-mail to Luxaire and directed them to this thread. Hopefully a representative from the company will chime in to help clarify/resolve the issue.
    Eugene
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Pretty thin

On the reason for rejection of warranty claim. This is generally a process. How did this go down, both the compressor and the rejection of coverage?
  • Unit Serial Number?

I received an e-mail from Luxaire, and the representative asked for the serial number of the unit. Can you please provide it?
    Eugene
  • fixitguy
    Bad compressor

Many thanks everybody! The compressor will be replaced, & I will swallow the labor. Oh well, There is a first time for everything.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    bad comp

What was the cause of death of this very young comp?
  • fixitguy
    Internal failure?

I don't know. It rattles for a moment and then nothing.
  • Techman
    Dead comp

Hay fixitguy,is this a scroll? Did you measure the ammout of oil in the dead comp? How long of a line set?
  • fixitguy
    failed compressor

I 'm not sure of the compressor type, but there is 35 ft of line
  • Techman
    edited September 2012
    dead comp

Is the evap above the cond unit? I haven't met too many "bad comps " in my time in this trade as compare to i have met an awful lot of bad "systems" causing the comp to die a painful death. .I hope you determine the cause of the dead comp or you maybe doing this again and then Luxaire might have something to say.
  • fixitguy
    dead compressor

the compressor is in the outdoor unit & the coil is above the furnace in the basement. This is a first for me.
  • Techman
    edited September 2012
    dead comp

A 35'line set is close to requiring a crankcase heater.Did you have a couple of 55-65* nites where you are? Refrigerant migration?Acid in the system?The evap is new ?
  • fixitguy
    dead compressor

I've never put a crankcase heater on a small home unit like this. I will check for acid but I doubt it. Everything on this system was new and I pumped it down for over a hour.
  • Techman
    edited September 2012
    crankcase heater

NEVER put a  C.C.H. on a residential system?WOW! How about this as a reference & then maybe I can change your mechanical heart just a little.Rheem/Ruud/Weatherking has a "maximum system charge value" chart that says that for a 42k system the max ammount of refrig in the whole system is just 8lbs. 8lbs.8lbs and then a CCH is REQUIRED. I'm looking for other mfg's chart but it has to be similar across the board, I think!
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    ?

fixit, do you use a micron gauge? Pumping for an hour means nothing if you don't have and hold a good vacuum?

Techman, was that Rheem/Ruud info from the manual of a dry unit? 1st time I'd seen that was in a dry unit and wondered if they did it because they know that these units will have to be overcharged to work on the likely undersized mismatched evaps of who knows how long ago? Personally if I were a unit or compressor maker, I'd have no warranty on these installs!
  • Techman
    edited September 2012
    CCH

Hi John, Yes this chart is out of Rheem's dry charged cond unit litreature. Rheem,Amana & Goodman tech assist dept say's that their units are charged w/ refrig for a 15' lineset and anything over a 25' line set "sure would be better off w/ a CCH" and if the evap is above the cond unit the same applies.I'm waiting to hear back from Carrier and Trane.I put a CCH on almost EVERY cond unit and I do not have very many comp failurers of any kind.I'm also contacting Bristol, Copeland and Tecumseh. Copeland's Scroll comp was originally touted as not needing a CCH,due to the comp ability to handle slugging,but within two years of the Scroll hitting the real world they changed their minds in a hurry.And if you or your customer hear noises from the comp upon startup ,a CCH will stop that from happening. So you tell me ! I will also contact Luxaire out of couriosity.

John, I'll back you up on that 1 hour evac vs. the micron gauge letting you know when the evac is proper.
This discussion has been closed.