Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A/C ducts put into working indirect radiator bays

HI,

I am looking to purchase a 4600 square foot home built in 1901. It has a new hot water boiler and two a/c units (one for the second floor and one for the first). The first floor of the home is heated by indirect radiators in the floor. Upon further inspection I noticed that the air duct for the ac were cut into those bays. How can that work? The grates are so large wouldn't the cool are just fall back down to the basement? These rooms are so large I don't know how the first floor would be properly cool. I also could not find vents in the 2 large stair cases, middle music room or kitchen. let alone a proper cold air return.

Basically I want to know can a house be properly cooled in this method.  Should AC ducts be sharing indirect bays???

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Lety me see if I understand your situation...

Your in floor radiant heat on the first floor is or has the A/C duct supp and return in the same bay's as the radiant.  A few pictures would help, but as long as you are receiving the proper air flow for the first floor, it should not be a problem.  Seems like they had no other way of distributing the air so they used a Joice space.(in which radiant heat is run.)  Since we cannot actually see the lay out it may be a good idea to have your local HVAC contractor look at it.  Grill size is the Q:  Not sure why it is large as you say, but again, see of you are able to post some pic's.  Mod and Ser of the equipment would also help. 

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.