Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nozzle Type

MikeyB
MikeyB Member Posts: 696
I have a Burnham KV74, firing rate at 1.35gph w/a Riello 40 F5 burner, DOE rating of 156 MBH, over sized for my house, my heatloss is around 60,000 btus per/hr. I installed a heat manager 2 seasons back and it cut back on the short cycling quite a bit, the specs call for 1.10 X 60W nozzle, i removed the drawer assembly last night to take a look at the nozzle that is in place, its a Sid Harvey-1.00/ 60 degree B/Solid/CGJN. Could I go a little smaller on the nozzle, or should I keep this style? Is a solid nozzle ok for this type of chamber?  The pump pressure is 150psi, air damper is set a 3, Turbulator at 3. Last Sept I took a set of combustion readings before i cleaned the chamber/heat exchanger/chimney base, -0.01 over the fire, -0.03 INH20 IN STACK, O2=6.7%, CO=37PPM, EFF=79.3%, CO2=10.6%, CO (O) 54PPM, T-STK=614 DEG F, T-AIR=77.2, EA=43.6%, - 0-smoke spot, Then another set after the cleaning in October, -0.01 over the fire,-0.04 in the stack, O2=5.8% , CO=36PPM, EFF=82.7%, CO2=11.2, CO(O)=51PPM, T-STACK=502 DEG F, T-AIR=67.9% E-AIR=36%, 0 smoke spot, I have not yet cleaned out the chamber/base/heat exchanger, i have to replace some chamber material, change the filter, change pump filter, etc, Thanks for any recommendations.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    me too

I have a V-74 in my house. What we have found is the lower the firing rate the better for the life of that boiler. They don't like rapid thermal change.

The Riello spec book says you can use a .85 60° W, at 145 psi on the pump, a #2 setting on the head, and 2.8 on the air. I'm running a .85 in mine with a Beckett and it runs fine, knock on wood.

You might even get away with a .75, just make sure your stack temp doesn't get too low. And I always look for 30% excess air. Seems to work for nearly every application.
  • MikeyB
    Nozzles

Thanks Paul, I think i will pick up a couple of different nozzles, looks like they recommend Delavan 60 degree "W" nozzles. I see in Firedragons Riello Handbook under the F5 Standard column that if I go with .85 nozzle, i can set my pump psi at 145, turbulator setting at 1, and my air damper at 2.75. Paul doe Rilello make a gauge for setting the nozzle and electrodes similar to the ones that Beckett makes? or does every use the Beckett gauges to set up Riello? thanks again
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Well....

To be honest I set the riello electrodes by eye. Those burners are very forgiving, and a slightly wider than normal gap works fine. It's always worked for me. but I don't want to say "That's how we've always done it" and open myaself for ridicule. :)

I don't know if there is a Riello gauge.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    one other thing

If there is a possibilty of cold oil, i.e. your tank is outside, above ground or in a cold garage, an "A" nozzle might be a better idea.
  • MikeyB
    Nozzles

I just spoke to Riello tech dept, to see if they have a gauge, and the guy told me to use one of the screws that hold the Turbulator disc in place for all 3 of the dimensions for the F3 & F5, that sounds like a good tech tip, I know i heard George L. of Firedragon say in regards to nozzles thing A & W like the rootbeer for Riello's. The Tank is inside my house above ground, thanks Paul,
  • MikeyB
    edited September 2012
    Nozzle

It looks like the smallest nozzle I can use here w/the V74 is the .85 x 60 W like it says in the IO manual on the Burner Specs page (and as Paul had mentioned). Anyone else know of some ways to space the Riello nozzle/electrodes
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Some of our servicemen

told me you can use a phillips head scewdriver thats sized for #2 screws . The electrode ends should fit right in 2 sides of the screwdriver . The specs are in the instruction manual too , if you still got 'em .  I do them by eye though , like Paul ! 
This discussion has been closed.