Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

More Hot Water:

icesailor
icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
Here's a Tank-less I just installed. They needed a lot of hot water for cleaning equipment and all they had was a 50 gallon electric water heater. I added this 199,000 BTU commercial tank-less, Access was by ladder, venting was through a 12" pitch metal roof. The water goes full pressure through the water heater and the water in the heater is pumped through the tank-less, run by the bottom water heater thermostat. The unit couldn't be shut down because they needed the water. It's piped so that it can be run in any combination. When it runs on only the tank-less, it cycles every time they squeeze the hose nozzle and they don't like the hot water. Through the tank, they never run out.

The hardest part was the venting on the 12" pitch roof. The "peaks" in the metal roof was a challenge. If anyone runs into a roof like this and has to flash it, I have a cool way to do it and it won't leak. As, and I'll post pictures.

The only problem I had with the install was that there is a lot of crud in the water and it kept plugging up the inlet strainer on the tank-less. I installed a Cuno SS hot water filter that uses standard 110 filters.

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    details

Hello:  It's fun noticing some of the details, like no scorch marks on the plywood; 45s in the gas line for good flow; the drip leg plumbed so it really works...  I am curious to know how you flashed the vent.  Sounds like working on a ski ramp.

Yours,  Larry
  • icesailor
    Flashing:

It was tricky. The main roof had a 12" pitch. There was a shed roof that ran into it that was probably a 4" pitch. I had to plan it out so that the vent didn't go through two roofs. The vent came through about 3' up. I screwed roof brackets through the ridges so I had something to stand on and keep my tools. The standard Noritz roof flanges spanned three ridges. It happened that the center of the vent came in the center of the second ridge. So I used the rubber filler they use on the metal where the metal would meet a wall and used RTV to seal and screw it together to be tight. Then, I took a piece of 6" wide lead flashing and formed it onto the roof panel on the back and onto the flashing to lead the water up on to the flashing. I realized as I was doing it that if one took a piece of sheet stock to span however many ridges you needed to span, you could use any stock roof flange to make it tight because you now have a flat surface and not one with ridges. And well gooped up with clear RTV. I'll have to take a telephoto from the ground because my roof pictures are in my camera phone and I haven't figured out how to send them to myself.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    sending to yourself

99% of phones can send to any email address -- even the ones without a data plan.  The carriers all have SMS email gateways that will figure it out if you just enter an email address instead of a phone number for the destination.
  • icesailor
    Photo's:

I'll give it a try.
This discussion has been closed.