Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

repair of an aluminum coil

Options
does anyone know the best way to go about soldering an aluminum coil? i have a situation where a customer has a trane condenser coil that has three pin hole leaks in the aluminum tubes.the coil is under a ten year warranty,but the coil trane will not have until after aug. 20.that is way too long for someone to be without ac in the summer. i don't know what good having such a long warranty is,when something goes wrong it takes so long to get the parts.any suggestions will be much appricated.thanks

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    compress fitting

If they are going to warranty the coil i would cut out the bad section and splice it back in with copper and a compress fitting.i know trane makes a kit just for repairing that leak.they have had issue on certain models.bu they are expensive.

Or you can take them some loner window shaker until the coil comes in.How big is your heart?
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    Options
    thanks

thanks for the info. i have offered to bring over a spot cooler for them to use,and the customer said don't worry about it.they only saving grace is there are three other systems in this house,and only two people live there.that's a good people to ac ratio. thanks again. 
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Aluminum solder

It is sold at most wholesalers, but it is very difficult to do.  Practice first.  do you know how the holes occurred? anything rubbing?  Slap some Ref. epoxy on it, at least it will slow it down until new one arrives.  That's if it's r-22.

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.