Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ADA

Options
j a_2
j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
I have a bed ridden customer whom I am installing a steam boiler for...He wants/needs a remote operated thermostat it must be user friendly and does not want programmable capable...Simple , reliable and provern...Any suggestions Thanks  ja

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited July 2012
    Options
    RemoteThermostats:

Regardless of what he wants, he will have to settle for what will work.

I just put heat in a cellar where the owner is storing wine in cases. He has a winery. There are no walls to put a thermostat, even outside walls. So, I/we put a Honeywell "Red Hat" wireless thermostat on a board and he can put the thermostat where ever is convenient to control the temperature. If he finds a cold spot, he can move the thermostat to that spot because it is mounted on a board.

I split a zone of radiant heat on the second floor in a early 1960's installed radiant heat in an antique 1800's brick museum house. Each floor was on a zone and it was uncontrollable. You couldn't move thermostats. I split the zones on the third floor with zone valves and used two Red Hat thermostats with the controller and put the thermostats where I wanted them. There was absolutely no way to reasonably run wires to the third (finished) floor through antique wallpaper.

The owner commented the other day how well the heat now works.

If the owner wants portability with the thermostat, there is no better way to do it. Put it on a board and he can carry it around with him. The heat is left on in the winter set at 48 degrees. I set the thermostats on "Hold" and set it to 48 degrees. Your customer can do the same thing.

My experience that worked.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    If he has a Smart phone, iPad or wireless PC....

He has LOTS of choices.

Nest for one. Ecobee for another. And lots of other competition coming on line in the near future.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.