Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burn Out

Exactly ,what constitutes a burnout? What happens to that oil? It changes from what and converts into what? And that freon ? What constitutes a burnout to the freon?  And the freon converts from what into what?

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Time to ask the Professor.

I don't think I know the actual definition either. but I sure know what it smells like when it happens. I know it is a catastrophic mechanical failure of the compressor, but that is about all.
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Compressor burn out

A burn out is when an electrical malfunction (generally a short to ground or winding to winding) inside the compressor causing contamination to oil and refrigerant resulting in acid contamination. The oil and refrigerant actually burn from this electrical short and the resulting contaminants of carbon and acid is the result.  You will notice the so called break down of ref. to be phosgene gas ( remember that smell?) and oil producing carbon which is generally black in appearance.  I'm sure this is not the only chemical make up of the burn, nor do I care.  Cleanup is critical.  Any acid left in system will build and eventually eat away at critical components.  I hope that was an acceptable explanation for you.

Peace

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Mike T.

" nor do I care " " nor do I care"  ouch !!!!!!!!!!! Grumpy today ?

lol !
  • Empire_2
    L O L really

I was in a hurry to get out this morning and threw something together just for you.  I'm never grumpy.  You should know that.  Like I said ask Eugene for the specific chemical after math, but I know I am close.  Have you ever seen the new acid test kit that you can apply to suction service port and will give a litmus test as to the content of acid in the system if any?  Use it all th time.  You can never be sure if a contamination is starting or not.

Peace

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Mike T.

lol'ed alot about that one.Tks.
  • Techman
    edited June 2012
    O.K. Guys

When any of you condem that freon or that oil ,2 seperate items , and you need to recover and reclaim the freon but leave the oil,and give the drum to the supply house,and get the AC up and running with new freon ,and new filter/drier'S , and a new M/I (most times) how did you make a decision to say "this freon has to go" ? I have replaced MANY,MANY,MANY liquid line(oversizing ) and added suction line f/d's of the" acid neutralizing" kind ,but very,very,very,very little "bad freon" .So, I'm wondering what I'm not doing. Mike T. I'm talking just shy of a "meltdown",dieing but not dead. NDIC2U2 !
  • Empire_2
    edited June 2012
    Are you sure?

I guess I would ask you that same Q:.  You say very little bad freon.  I will always perform an acid test to determine the severity of acid in the system.  If the system is a burnout (catastrophic failure) due to electrical burn, the freon or refrigerant will contain acid in varying amounts.  If there is no Acid, there is no burn out.  Not all failures that we are discussing are actually burn out classified, but ACID is the main concern.  If any acid is present the clean up procedure must commence, or for go future problems.  When recovering contaminated ref. I use f/d to relatively protect my recovery machine. If there is any indication of acid, the bottle is quarantined until the contaminated stuff can be discarded.  With oil, we can't remove it without major expense, so we treat it and monitor.

In most cases the oil to has an acid content, but usually (not always) has absorbed less so I will remove contaminants with LL and SL dryers.  My suction is to protect the compressor from that crap coming back and LL to stop it from hitting TXV.  Follow up visits must be added to service call if it is to be done right.  Unfortunately the customer does not always agree to this added cost, so note that on the work order so that puppy won't come back to bite you....lol. 

I am here to prevent your "meltdown".  I know for a fact that you are thorough and might be performing clean up procedures when no burn has occurred.  Is that a fair statement?

Hope this helped a little.  P.S. what the heck was that cb, talk at the end of your last post???  I need a "Decoder Ring"...lol.
  • Techman
    Tks Mike T.

LOL alot- NorDoICare to you to- NDIC2U2!Decoder ring,I hear you!!!!LOL !
  • Empire_2
    Now what?

I know, time for a beer..........................................any time I can help, you know I will.
This discussion has been closed.