Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

heat load for a kitchen

have a problem job,that we recently got involved at a commercial kitchen.the system that was installed by others, is a 15 ton trane split system.the unit on a design day,above 90 degrees will not maintain a room temperature below 80. i have found that the system is within 10% of 6,000 cfm,both compressors are at full capacity,12 degree superheat and 15 degrees of subcooling.the only thing that i can come up with is the system is not large enough to handle the load of the kitchen equipment.i have a list of the pieces of equipment and was wondering is the best way to calculate the load would be to contact the manufacturers and get the heat output in btu,s.or is there a better way to go about this.they are many differant manufacturers and the total pieces is sixty four,so obviously this will take some time.not including the hoods there are two large air cooled walk in boxes,twenty commercial refrigerators,and one air cooled ice machine.looking for suggestions,and any assistance would be much appricated. thank you.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited June 2012
    kitchen

What kind of exhaust fan/hood w/CFM & makeup air fan w/ CFM is on this job? Where is this? O.A. conditions? How many  med temp reach-in's are there? 1-2-3 door?   Same thing for R-I Freezers ? With 10 of pretty much the same size box you can contact just one mfrg and guesstimate the rest. How many lbs.per day/hour is the ice maker? The W-I 's can be figured out by the compressor/cond unit info and looking up the BTU's in the charts.
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    heat load for kitchen

thanks for the response.the exhaust fan is 3,600 cfm and the make up air for the hood is 3300 cfm unconditioned.i have closed off the outside air to this air handler in question.the make up air goes directly into the hood and disharges out the front of the hood.i have ran the system with the hood's make up air fan off and it does not seem to make a difference.the room temperature stays the same.the refrigerators are two door reach in,with the compressor on top.
  • Techman
    Kitchen

Pressure readings from the AC w/ O.A. temps are needed,beside the S.C. & S.H. readings. Shutting down the make-up air fan woun't do much bcause the x-fan will suck the air out of the bldg somewhere.Can you operate the AC w/ both x-fan & make-up fan off? A 2 door RIR will reject 6-9,000 BTU's depending! And thats a lot compared to the AC's 180k BTU's. Fresh air into the AC airhandler? 20 refrig units out of 64 pieces ,what else is there that totals 64 ? Measurements of the W-I 's? That ice machine must be sucking wind operating in that kitchen.
  • zepfan
    zepfan Member Posts: 397
    heat load for a kitchen

thanks again for the help.the ice machine is 1300 lbs/24 hr., and the rest of the equipment in there is steamers,heat lamps, two hoods,several ovens,etc.i am in the process of looking up the specs on this equipment and am finding that the refrigerators are between 4,000-9,000 btu's each. thanks again
  • Techman
    edited June 2012
    Kitchen heat

The ice maker is about 22k btuh.
This discussion has been closed.