Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Refrigerant thread sealant

What is the best product out there? When I started out I used Leak Lock, Then went to Loctite 554, ( having failures on 410a systems ) Thinking about using Nylog. Has anyone used this product? pro/cons or other suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    I don't use anything.

I don't use any special additive and have had no problems. A little refrig oil on the threads of the flare fitting and lock it down. It works. The threads on a flare aren't the sealing surface. The face of the flare is. The threads provide the resistance to separation.
  • FitterFreds
    FitterFreds Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2012
    NPT

I'm trying to seal an access port on a Sporlan LLFD canister style. Used the 554, let it cure for 24hrs, pressure test and vac test passed. Around 2 weeks of run time and leak developed @ the threads. I hadn't had any issues with the 554 before and yes I used the primer. Just looking for a product that will work consistently.  
  • meplumber
    meplumber Member Posts: 678
    Gotcha.

I misread what you were looking for. Hate it when that happens.
  • joesdad
    joesdad Member Posts: 3
    thread sealant

I have had success with Jomar's Give me the White stuff. Works for a lot of other gasses too.
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    All the time?

Are you having this problem with every lid or just this one? I have had the occasional problem with a fitting and would switch the fitting and or wrap with teflon tape, a lot. Never used one on a 410a system.

Don
This discussion has been closed.