Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rinnai rl75i-code-12

hi everyone,could use some help with rinnai rl75i on demand water heater.the unit was installed one week ago,by a plumber friend ,it is only 6 months old.i got the unit for free because it was replaced because it got wet in a flood.the water only went as high as 2 in into the unit.when he first fired it up,it had code 11.he tried it about 5 times,and it ran good for about an hour-turning hot water off and on.it still is working,but every so often i get a code 12-flashing,and the alarm beeps.any avise i would be thankfull.i don;t feel at ease,because of it being gas.he thinks it might be a gas valve problem    thanks bruce

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Something for Nothing:

You got nothing for nothing. Check with your homeowners insurance carrier. I think that you may find that if anything happened to your house because of that condemned heater, you wouldn't be covered. If it went under water, only partially, it isn't "partially" no good and unsafe, it's totally no good and not to be repaired.

Your Plumber "friend" isn't a friend. Most of us wouldn't even use that flooded unit for parts.

Like a car that goes underwater in a flood. The electrical parts are always failing.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    venting

I  can only hope your unit was installed, by a qualified installer, if not, I do not suggest continuing operation...Read the installation manual warnings, and follow them...That said, does it appear to rumble just prior to shut down?  If so, check the vent/intake for a rolled seal or not fully engaged section...Unit may be sucking in its own exhaust..Please respond when you find out why, it helps us, help others...
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    wet?

If I understtod it correctly this unit was replaced due to water damage....If this is the wet unit do exacty as Icesailor says...Shut it down, and NEVER try it again...Sorry
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    I tried to call the number

you sent me earlier this morning. NA. Ice is correct. Contact your homeowners insurance carrier. In the bottom 2" you hit parts of the pcb, sensors and perhaps most importantly in this case, the gas valve. At the very least you need to have a discussion with tech service from Rinnai 800 621-9419. You likely need parts. Be straight with them and let them know the units history. Code 11 means that the unit tried to fire and did not achieve ignition. 12 means that it fired, cut could not maintain operation. Low micro amps, improper gas valve operation, inducer malfunction. 12 is the one where you need to have your fast ball and appropriate diagnostic tools. I'll try your number again in the am. I'm in CA so a bit behind you.
This discussion has been closed.