Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HEAT PUMP

I LIVE IN VIRGINIA AND I HAVE A HEAT PUMP. THE INSIDE UNIT IN MY HOUSE IS LEAKING CONDENSATION / WATER FROM SOMEWHERE AND FILLING UP THE SILVER DUCT WORK THING THAT THE UNIT SITS ON. I REPLACED THE CONDENSATION PUMP AND REPIPED THE PVC DRAIN FROM THE PAN TO THE CONDENSATION PUMP I FOUND A SMALL LEAK ON THE JOINT WHERE IT ENTERS THE DRAIN PAN. I LOOKED FOR A LEAK OR CRACKS ON THE PAN BUT I COULDN'T FIND ANY. IS THERE ANY OTHER PLACE THE WATER COULD BE COMING FROM? I PUMPED OUT 2 GALLONS OF WATER THE OTHER DAY FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE UNIT BELOW THE A COIL. WELL ITS NOT AN LETTER A SHAPED A COIL ITS I GUESS A HALF ONE THAT SETS IN THERE ON A ABOUT 45 DEGREE ANGLE AND HAS A SMALL DRIP PAN RUNNING THE LENGHT OF IT. I DID NOT SEE ANY OBSTRUCTIONS IN THE PAN AND THE WATER SEEMS TO BE COMING OUT OF THE DRAIN JUST FINE. ANY HELP WOULD BE AWESOME I AM JUST TRYING TO SAVE MONEY AND DO IT MYSELF. CONTRACTOR CAME OUT FOR 70 DOLLARS AND SAID THERE WAS NO PROBLEM. THANK YOU.

Comments

• MichaelK
    MichaelK Member Posts: 34
    a few things to think about

The condensate drain may have been clogged but you already replaced it.  Also you will need the unit running so the drain pan is filled with water, and then check the pan to see if it is dripping.

How low do you have your thermostat set?  If your house is cold enough eventually the duct work itself will begin to sweat. 

How is your unit running?  Is it operating normally and cooling your house?  Or does your house get comfortable and then really hot?  Do you ever notice ice on any of the pipes around the unit inside or outside.  If ice builds on your coil and then melts as the house gets warmer that will cause an amount of water the drain pan won't be able to keep up with.

When is the last time you changed your filter?  Dirty filters can restrict the air flow and allow the coil to ice up as well.

Let us know how it goes.

Mike
    Michael Knight
  • SBCT172
    SBCT172 Member Posts: 5
    heat pump

Usually its set on about 70. It will sometimes get warm in the house then cool off. Our insulation is poor in the house. The inside unit is new.
  • SBCT172
    heat pump

My filter is new I keep up with them I have to I have to dogs that shed alot
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    Heat Pump

Is there a drain trap ( a low belly ) in the condensate  line leaving the indoor unit? Right next to the condensate fitting there might be a second drain connection. Is there a plug in the other drain hole? Which drain hole is being used ? Hi or lo?
  • SBCT172
    problem found

the copper pipe going into the side of the unit was poorly insulated. The pipe is in the corner of a wall and i just so happened to grab it and felt cold. i twisted the insulation around and seen that where is is pre split the person made the split bigger and all the pipe was exposed. it was sweating and running down under the insulation below the bad stuff then where the pipe enters the unit going in there and then running behind the insulation inside then dripping off the drain pan into the bottom of the unit. I can't believe i missed that but i thought from where i seen water that it had to be inside or the pan or drain or something. I am going to isulate it properly and get a rubber gromet and fill the hole where it enters the unit to keep it cold and hopefully it wont sweat anymore. Thank you to the guys that helped me and responded to my post i really appreciate it. thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.