Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stay brite#8

whats the scoop. can you use #8 on 410 a systems or not. at my certification class for 410a the instructor said either one. thx

Comments

• Bergy
    Bergy Member Posts: 11
    Stay-Brite

I've been asking this question of manufacturers for several years... to no avail.

According to Harris' guide to brazing and soldering Stay-Brite silver bearing solder has the same strength as brazing but the copper retains greater burst strength due to low temp vs high temp joining. The only place I use silver solder is at the compressor. When soldering a line set we use Stay-Brite with no problems over the last six years.

Check out  http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Technical-Documents.aspx

On the right side under "Common Resources" open the "Guide to Brazing and Soldering" PDF and go to page 19.

Bergy
  • ddlong1286@yahoo.com
    ddlong1286@yahoo.com Member Posts: 139
    What I was told

Sat through Lennox class on 410a in 2000?(sometime around then). Do not use solder!! Stay Brite was brought up, again the answer, no soft solder to be used on R410a systems.

Sat through Carriers R410a class twice, again do not use soft solder. I believe the biggest concern for both manufacturers was the flux and the possible contamination with the POE oil.

Now, that was the official answer, although as Bergy said they haven't had any problems on their systems. So as most people do in this industry, use what works for you, just don't expect the OEM to back you up if you have problems.

Question for Bergy, Do you use stay brite on heat pumps too, or just ac's?

Don in MO
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    oh

Hadn't thought about it from the flux standpoint. That makes sense. Sure don't need flux getting in the TXV. I have always brazed, so I'll just stick with that.
This discussion has been closed.