Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BIODIESEL AS HEATING FUEL

TORCH_2
TORCH_2 Member Posts: 13
Hi has any one tried B99 biodiesel as fuel in a unmodified oil burner I was wondering so a I asked a nice long question that took 15 minutes to type and then went to post it and it got deleted By my computer so now I have to ask it again so i'm going to wait till i get a reply to type all the info i had on it thanks TORCH AKA Ben

Comments

• TORCH_2
    A new burner

Is not an option Until my old burner dies 100% past fixing I can type all the specs and info i have about the burner and furnace I have!! Thanks
  • Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Flex Burn

That burner in my opinion is a joke.  You can burn Bio in any burner.  All you need to do is replace the pump and add a nozzle line heater.  Suntech makes a mini pump with Vitrol seal that can be used to a B100.  The nozzle line heater just warms up the fuel so it flows a little better.  excuse me if I got the name of the seal wrong.  It is one of those names that always escapes me.  
  • Terry O
    Terry O Member Posts: 67
    Is it....

viton your thinking of?
    Terry O
  • TORCH_2
    edited April 2012
    Here is what I have

I rather not replace any thing on my burner if I don’t have to! Do they just make the seals the you can replace in a old Webster pump (well I think it’s Webster what do you think) Here are some pics of the pump face and the burner I would like to burn B99 in!! is that big W mean Webster? It’s a Lennox burner and furnace 60 years old I can send the specs for it if that would help any?? It is a belt drive pump!!! sorry the pics are sideways

Thanks to any one for tips, help, or ideas Ben AKA Torch
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    unfortunately for you,

they no longer make that pump or burner. That is not a standard fuel pump, Lennox stood alone.
  • TORCH_2
    I'm not done yet!!!!! and I will never be!!!!!! and I won't give up

What do you mean about it is not a standard fuel pump?? What is difference other then it is belt drive?? Just to let you know the burner still works great and right now has a .579 MH nozzle in it and the fire box is rated up to .75!! Also the Burn tube is bigger then the normal 4 inch so if I ever replace the burner when it dies 100% past fixing I most likely will have to weld up a adapter flange!!! Thanks again Ben AKA TORCH Keep those tips, help and ideas coming
  • Mac_R
    Why?

Just out of curiosity what is the RPM on the motor?  I have never seen a burner like that before.  I am guessing it is 1720.  I know you are in love with your current system.  I am sure the efficiency results are good.  If you down fire anything enough you can make the run time efficiency artificially high.  My question is with a system that old what is the system efficiency?  Is the boiler a large steal high mass boiler?  What are the off cycle losses? (Jacket loss, flew losses, piping losses)  The savings from going from a large steal boiler with lots of water to a cast iron low or med mass boiler with a 5450 burner like the NX can be a massive savings.  Not to mention if you go from a DHW coil to an indirect with a cold start.  The model T was a good car.  I don't think I would use it as an every day car anymore.  Just my opinion. 
  • billtwocase
    those were

3450 RPM. Both motor and pump shafts are not standard. I have all these parts, and maybe even a complete burner somewhere in the dungeon. These I won't sell off for many reasons.  Good luck
  • TORCH_2
    more stuff

Hi Mac_R Just to correct you it is a forced air furnace not a boiler it’s going in to my welding shop in a few years. I will have to check the RPM under the plate!! I think it is 3450 but I think the pump is lower RPM since it has a smaller pulley and an idler then the pulley on the pump!! I don’t have it running or set up yet so I don’t have the efficiency yet. I have tested it with the .579 MH nozzle in it runs great and quiet and it does put out a good amount of heat with out cycling to long or to short What does If you down fire anything enough you can make the run time efficiency artificially high Mean?? Just asking it helps me learn since I have ADD We can talk via Email too so it makes it easier and share heating stories Let me know?? !!! My email is at the bottom of the post!!! Do you use YOUTUBE MAC_R??? Because I have a video of me showing the furnace in storage!!! There will be a running vid in a few years!!! To find the vid type in Mainelyelectric no space between them in the search bar on YouTube.

Thanks your friend Ben Aka TORCH

HI Billtwocase You said you have the parts for that type of burner??? I am giving my email at the bottom of the post for you if you are ever willing to Decide to sell parts for that burner we can talk?? (These I won't sell off for many reasons) what are the reasons?? I am just learning I’m age 22 with ADD Sorry if I am bugging you!!!

Thanks your friend Ben Aka TORCH

My Email is Mainelyenvironmentalelectric@gmail.com
  • billtwocase
    I think

you can still get those parts from Sids, which is where I got these years ago. I have 1 in the field that i know of. They were a nice unit. The parts have been on my shelves for years, maybe decades, so the condition may be questionable. I wish you luck on this, just would rather see you experiment with a Beckett AF, or something more relevant to todays burners
  • TORCH_2
    About AF burner

Hi billtwocase I do have a bunch of beckett parts and two old used beckett AFG burners for use and for parts and a bunch of other stuff I use to tinker with and learn about!! Also I'm really into old thing and I collect old things too!!! Mostly old scary electrical parts like knob and tube!!! But if you are also ever willing to sell those parts or even old burners keep my email and let me know in the future??? Thanks for all your help, tips and ideas Ben

P.s. I will still keep updating and checking this thread thanks again
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Sewing Machine

At least that's what we used to call that burner. 3450 motor with a short shaft (we used to cut the shaft on a standard motor to fit). The pump was 1725. The hub and shaft were short, so you could only use their replacement. It was a real pain getting down on the floor to deal with the idler pully when they fell apart.

We used to run Monarch AR nozzles in them. Seemed to run best with those. This is a non-retension head burner, so the flame isn't as hot as a current production burner. Less efficient, though it does produce heat. So does a light bulb.

Oh man, I think I'm one of those old timers!
  • Mac_R
    Down fire for efficiency.

Run time efficiency is determined by stack temp and CO2 levels.  If you can drop stack temps down low enough say 350-400 and get a 11-12 CO2 then your efficiency looks good.  How ever to drop the stack temp you put a smaller nozzle in the burner and with some of the really old systems they would put fire brick in the exchanger.  Is the system really that efficient?  No not really.  It just looks good. 

I did not know that was a forced air unit.  One thing I have always wanted to try and maybe you can give this a try and tell me how it goes.  It seems you like to tinker and I don't have the time to right now.  Put a Beckett Clean Cut pump on there with a 4 second delay timer.  Because the pump does not have a traditional diaphragm it uses an electronic controlled valve you should be able to get a flow of oil out of the pump even at 1725 RPM.  The problem with using a traditional pump is you need to overcome that diaphragm.  Just a thought.  You might need to adjust pump pressure to compensate for the lower RPM but it should work.  I have not tried this.  Just putting it out there.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    no

I don't think the shaft size on the pump will be the same. The burner has a pulley that attaches to the shaft.
  • Mac_R
    Pump Shaft

I do not believe that there is a difference in the size of the diameter of the shaft.  
  • TORCH_2
    sorry for a late reply

Hi it's Ben I found out that the Pump on my oil burner is a webster belt drive pump!! so Thanks again for your help on forum!! I will keep up dating this thread some time soon thanks Ben P.s. BTW If you ever change your mind on selling any of those parts let me know!! Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.