Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sensor/Thermostat problem?

jasmine
jasmine Member Posts: 4
Hi,

I'm housesitting for someone. Was told to set the thermostat to about 18 (that's Cª), and 16 at night. 10 days have been fine. But last night, I woke up to a boiling room. I had to open up the windows and set the thermostat down to 15. Nothing changed. Then set it down to 13. The radiators started to cool off.

But now, 12 hours later, the radiators won't work, no matter what temp i set the thermostat. The hot water however works fine so I know the boiler is working (it's a Buderus). Checked the boiler- displays all seem ok. The pressure guage has gone up from 30 to 50 though, since last night. Dont know if that means anything.

Not sure if I should call the techs or do something myself. It's not mine so I'm hesitant to play around with it but at the same time, I'm in a foreign country and don't know how to communicate with the techs.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Outside temperature?

What is the temp, outside?

If I'm not mistaken, that boiler sets the boiler temp based on outside temperature, and compensates somewhat to space conditions.

In general the boilers space heating setting gets hotter, the colder it is outside, and cooler when it gets warmer.

Set the sensor back tor 18. Give it time to work. if the heat starts working, leave it alone. If does not, then call the owner to find out what to do next.

I'm not in europe, so I can't help with calling the techs.
  • jasmine
    senso

Hope you're right. Only thing is- it wasn't really cold outside yesterday. In fact, the last two days have been the warmest of the month. It was about 45F last night when the boiler started acting up.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    The boiler

may also be off on warm weather shutdown right now.

Normally in the states we have the boiler turn off when the outside air is 60 to 65 F or above.

Sounds almost like the settings on the control may just have the water temp too warm in mild weather. That could be corrected in the boilers control program, but that is something the owner, or a tech should do.

On the next warm nite, maybe set the sensor lower to say 14 or 15 C. That should help keep the boiler off more.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    If

The heat will not go on in the evenings when it's 45* degrees or so outside, call the homeowner. It may be an issue they are familiar with. They may want you to try changing a battery in the thermostat.If language is a barrier, they may call the tech themselves and explain what you have encountered.Take a close look at the thermostat, if it takes a battery, many have a "low battery" indicator on the display.
  • jasmine
    thanks

Thanks everyone. It's starting to get cooler outside (it's in the 50's I'm guessing) and the radiator should normally be on in this temp but it's still not. Will wait till tomorrow morning, as it's almost night here.

The sensor is just a dial but with an 'energymeter' next to it, which typically was lit up 1/3 of the way. Now it lights up when I turn on the hot water in the faucet but then goes back down- so I'm guessing the sensor battery is ok (if it even uses one).

But yes, will talk to the owners tomorrow if it's still not on. I just didn't want to bother them (they're out of the country themselves) if I could help it.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Understandable

But it's the reason you're there.Imagine if they left the home unattended, and there was a cold snap. They might walk back into a disaster area, with pipes burst and flooding. Best Wishes
  • jasmine
    working

Just to say the heat is working this morning! Whew. Thanks to all.
This discussion has been closed.