Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Question for Eugene and others

Options
I am thinking about testing my own DX geo heat pump. Just considering right now as a project at my other part time house. Thinking of grabbing a 3 ton 14seer unit, gutting it and trying it for the heck of it. What do any of you think the targets are for minimizing liquid flood back, oil trapping etc?  I may end up just buying one from ecr or other but this sounds more like fun and I can buy outdoor units pretty cheap. Scroll compressor, accumulators, hi & low press switches etc  etc. Expansion valve metering only, no cap tube for me.

Comments

• don_9
    don_9 Member Posts: 395
    Options
    save your money

Save your money Tim.I would find me a cheap heatpump or used for that matter and disconnect the air coil and add a water coil to it.Also they have software out now called the simulator that you can do a bunch of what ifs with it.The professor could fill you in on it.

Just wait summer on it way and you will have plenty units to troubleshoot and test.lol.
  • Eugene_Silberstein
    Eugene_Silberstein Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Direct Burial?

If you are planning on playing with a direct burial system, bring the compressor inside, along with the accumulator and the reversing valve. Just be sure to insuate the refrigerant lines well to reduce losses.

Sounds like a bunch of fun...

Keep us posted.
    Eugene
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: locating etc

Eugene, definately would bring unit inside, insulate runouts to bores. hi lo press. switches, accumulator, Hard start, time delays, yada yada yada. All easy and cheap to do. Just thought could be fun.
This discussion has been closed.