Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McLain Indirects, no more tank-in-tank?!?! What happened?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
I always preferred the tank-in-tank design for its low head pressure and high recovery.

I think Triangle Tube made the product for WM.

Why did they switch?

I'm kind of freakin' out here.
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I have mixed feelings

I did many Phase 3, and W/M and found that for the most part they were just OK. I think the redesign is long overdue. 
  • KCA_2
    KCA_2 Member Posts: 308
    edited March 2012
    I've installed

a number of Triangle tube Smart tanks and the Weil McLain was made by Triangle Tube...  I don't know why they switched but the company that makes the new indirect for Weil is in Northern Italy...  I just installed an Aqua Plus 40 (one of the new ones) and removed a Weil Tank in Tank because it was leaking...  The new tanks feed from the top down...  Usually the boiler feed is on the bottom and the return is on top...  The new ones are the other way around...  But the new coil indirect worked very well...  The owner even likes it better than the old tank in tank...

Don't freak-out...:)

:)  KCA
    :-) Ken
  • JohnNY
    Well....

I called WM to express my concerns and they assured me the 1" coil caused only a 1.5 ft/hd pressure drop. Some coil/tanks have a 12 ft/hd drop which means use big pumps or suffer reduced output.

I'll be installing one soon, so I'll take a good look.

Thanks for the reassuring post, KCA.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • KCA_2
    edited March 2012
    When I was

looking into the new one I wanted to know the square footage of heating coil....   I asked the local rep...  Asked at the supply house...  Looked everything I could up on the internet...  Then I waited on line for 20 to 30 minutes at Weil McLain just to have the guy take my number and tell me that he'd call me back...  He never did.....  So...  The only thing that I was able to find was the gallons that the coil supposedly holds which is 1.9...    So I did some math assuming that the coil opening was the same as L copper...  and I came up with 11.56sqft  I remember...  The Triangle tube has 16...  This is all for the 40 gallon...  the others have more or less depending on size...  The Superstore has 20....  The Heat Flo has 7.5....  And like I said before the Weil has you piping the supply into the top of the coil..  out the bottom...  a bit different...  The Weil also has adjusting legs which is very nice..  No more using copper tubing squeezed to level the tank...  Lol..

But 1.5 feet of head?

I just went to look at their site and the 45gallon Aqua Plus has a 3.3 ft of head loss...At 8 gpm... (recommended)  which one are you putting in?

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/our-products/water-heaters/aqua-plus-water-heaters.aspx

Have fun

:-)  KCA
  • JohnNY
    45-gallon

I put in the 45 gallon unit. The Tech guy told me it's a 1" coil with 1.5 ft/hd.

Anyway, it's working fine as far as I can tell.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • KCA_2
    The spec book

Calls for the 45 to be 3.3ft head at 8gpm... 

But they work well enough...  How many sq ft of heating coil is there?

Ask the tech guy that..  Lol

:-)  KCA
This discussion has been closed.